Logo

Yamaha 50 hp overheat

B

big gordy

"Hi guys looking for some help

"Hi guys looking for some help ,just purchased a brand new yamaha 50hptiller steer Upon flushing for the first time with muffs after 5 minutes noticed no water from tell tale Overheat alarm went off and i shut her down immediately ,waited ten minutes then flushed with a drum and it ran fine Just wondering if this will have any advers e affects Thanks..."

"Since you caught it immediate

"Since you caught it immediately you probably didn't do any major harm - but only time can tell that for sure.

Sounds like your muffs weren't seated/sealed properly. I don't trust flushing devices at the best of times and always run motors in a tank (barrel/garbage can, whatever)..."

Thanks Graham for your respons

Thanks Graham for your response just curious when you say only time can tell what sort of thing can happen over time???

"All I meant was, "IF"

"All I meant was, "IF" it got hot enough to cause "some" damage that isn't immediately apparent, it may shorten the life expectancy of "some" parts....

Obviously at this point, you didn't weld a piston into the cylinder or burn up some gaskets - but it may have caused some premature "wear" on say the piston rings that could cause them to fail in say 2-5 years instead of maybe 5 to 10..

That was my only point, you "may" have shortened the life on some parts...."

"Thanks again Graham I,m just

"Thanks again Graham I,m just trying to put my mind at ease about doing such a stupid thing..."

"u should be fine if the overh

"u should be fine if the overheat went off, then u install shut down
u were not making that much rpm"

Back