Logo

Newly rebuilt Inboard wonbt perform under load

T

Tony Lee

"Completely rebuilt '89 Co

"Completely rebuilt '89 Cobra V8 302 twin engines last fall and haven't gotten to run fully yet. Both Marine and engine mechanics have looked at without success. Runs well in neutral up to 5500rpm, but when loaded, one engine lays down at 2500-3000rpm. Has brand new 650 double pumper Holley carberators; they have been swapped between engines without any change. Timing, compression check was good, new plug & wires, everything both mechanics have come up with has been done without success. Both engines were built to same specs by reputable company. Know I started out long, but does anyone have suggestions on what to try?"

"It could be a Fuel Restrictio

"It could be a Fuel Restriction,.... Tank, Lines, Fuelpump,..??....
Or,....
An Exhaust Restriction..... Burnt,+ Dropped Flapper Valve,..??"

"Can you take it out and run t

"Can you take it out and run the engines separately? Sounds goofy, but .... See if the single engine loads down like you said. Maybe the jets are too large? I bought a used 600 Vac. Secondary once for a Drag Car. Dude at the speed shop said it was on a Vette motor....I thought, cool, this'll work great on my 318 with mid. cam. Wrong...Jets were too big. Jetted down three sizes I think, and VOOOM Just thoughts for ya.I'm no pro.

Mr Windburn"

"Thanks for the response, I ha

"Thanks for the response, I have checked the fuel for restriction in lines and valveshave new fuel filters. I have not checked the flappers on the exaust. the coils have been replaced and swaped.
As for the carb jets being to large the other engine runs fine with same carb?"

Back