Logo

OMC water circulation

cathy

Contributing Member
"We took of the hose that lead

"We took of the hose that leads to the t-stat, and absolutely no water is going to the engine. My husband blew in the hose,and I could feel the air coming out below the outdrive.. So why isn' the water getting to the engine.........Help........."

"Cathy,
OMC outdrives (mo

"Cathy,
OMC outdrives (most outdrives) are relatively straightforward when it comes to circulating water from the LU. When you're not moving, the LU water pump brings water up to the engine. when underway, the water is forced up through those small holes you see on either side of the LU. So, if you have no water coming up when standing still, in my opinion it has to be one (or both) of what's needed to keep the engine cool - access to water and a way to pump it up. Make sure that the water intake is not blocked and then double-check the water pump. Is the impeller in right? Did you remember to put that small primer hose back on? Speaking of the primer, I once had a problem wwith water not geting into the LU pump due to sand or other debris blocking the primer hose port on the impeller housing.

Also, it would help to better follow this thread if you provide updates as replies to your original thread, rather than starting a new thread with each update. Thanks!"

"I had this same problem yeste

"I had this same problem yesterday. but on a 3.0 cobra. to solve it, i started the engine, disconnected that hose coming from the drive to the t-stat (disconnect from the t-stat end, all while the boat is running and in the water) and allow hose to prime. water sprayed out, and i connected it back to the t-stat, no problem. Might not solve your problem, but it worked for me! good luck."

"Our original problem was over

"Our original problem was overheated boat. Discoverd the impeller was shot. Replaced the impeller, housing t-stat,and then shift cable due to difficult shifting. Put everything back together with new exhaust bellows, u-joint bellows and attatched garden hose with muffs to lower unit and checked the hose at the t-stat, and no water is getting up to the engine. Now we removed the impller again checked the drive shaft everything seems great, went to try again and we lost power, this boat is jinxed and we are at the verge of giving up........."

"Well, let's see - muffs s

"Well, let's see - muffs should simulate water flow while underway, so water should be getting to the t-stat hose even if the LU water pump is not working. Assuming I'm correct, then i'm stumped and I'll stop here and wait for the experts to chime in."

Do you have good strong pressu

Do you have good strong pressure from your water source ? Is it possible that your water source may be the problem ? The drive can suck up alot of water in just seconds.

"According to our OMC sterndri

"According to our OMC sterndrive manual we have them going in the right direction........I give up............
question.gif
"

I think we are truly done.....

I think we are truly done........No answers only questions. Live and learn I guess.

Back