Logo

Engine seized then unseized then overheated a question for the experts

markchiz

Contributing Member
"allright where to start...
o

"allright where to start...
out on the lake...5 minutes boats running great, fresh oil, new prop great weather.
went to take off from a slow crawl, engine dies. doesnt sputter out, just quits. first time it has ever stalled on me. so i go to start it...starter engages, engine doesnt turn. Engine seemed completely seized? starter was working fine, cuz i could see the engine torqing up to one side like it was trying to turn the flywheel but just wouldnt budge. anyways a call to the Police and Coast guard...and a short marine recuse later i tried to start it while getting towed back in to the marina, and it turned for a few seconds then fired up. (???) so i let it idle while i was being towed, and noticed the temp was running upwards of 90 C (220ish? for the US boaters...slightly below the 240 F mark on my gauge anyways) so i shut it down right away. and this was just at idle.
pulled it out, got it in the driveway, hooked up the muffs to the hose, engine starts in a split second, and doesnt overheat at all. revved it to 2000 rpms for a few minutes, and watched the thermostat, and it ran normally...i could see the points where it opened and closed. t-stat seemed to be working well.
my bro is a mechanic and he suggested it "hydraulicly locked" . cant remember, maybe not hydraulically, but he said one cylinder may not have been firing, causing a fuel buildup in the cylinder, and we all know liquid is incompresable, causing a seize of that cylinder causing engine to quit. so i checked the wires, and one wire snapped back on when i pushed it, so possibly it wasnt on all the way.
any insight on the seizing, unsiezing, overheating, then running fine?
i'll put it back in the water tomorrow and putt around the bay, keeping a close look in the temp. Oil pressure is great. i also disconnected all the cooling hoses slightly, one at a time to ensure water flow. I'm completely boggled, and stressed. thought the engine was toast.
what do the experts say??"

Did you possibly have the driv

Did you possibly have the drive trimmed all the way up while being towed in? Maybe the impeller couldn't get enough water?

"I thought about that about ha

"I thought about that about halfway back to the marina, trimmed it all the way down. water was pretty turbid still back there. but then sitting docked, idleing, it skyrocketed. we'll fiund out tomorrow.
any thoughts on the seizing/unseizing/fuel filled cylinder possibility?"

It certainly sounds plausible

It certainly sounds plausible although I'm no mechanic like your brother is. I always thought though that if the cylinder wasn't firing that the unburned fuel would just get pushed out the exhaust valve on the exhaust stroke (waste of fuel!) I guess tomorrow will be the true test...good luck!

"For some reason my Johnson 9.

"For some reason my Johnson 9.9 seized-up in storage, never had any storage related problem before and wasn’t prepared to drag it to my dealer get it prepared. Internet brought me too Engine Release. The only product I could find developed for un-seizing seized up pistons."

Back