Logo

Shift Rod adjustment

rammyii

"I am just about to replace my

"I am just about to replace my upper/lower gear assembly and I need to check my shift road adjustment, I know that it should be 7 13/64 from top of case to top of shift rod, from the pictures on the Hastings website it shows the lower drive on it's own. Firstly my upper and lower are rebuilt and fully assembled so can this be done with both upper and lower connected? Secondlywhen he refers to the top of the gearcase, exactly which part is he referring to? The picture isn't really that clear and I want to be sure I have it right first time.
Thanks."

"You measure from the actual f

"You measure from the actual flat machined surface of the casing, his picture is actually from an OMC manual and shows the special tool which you might be able to find at an older dealer, might let you borrow it. Yes you must have the gearcase split in order to measure this, I would have expected the shop that did the rebuild to set this correctly for you?"

"I just replaced my prop shaft

"I just replaced my prop shaft on my OMC Cobra (4.3L), and the instructions said to count the number of turns while removing the rod, and reinstall it with the same number of turms which I did. We took the boat out tonight and in Forward, you have to ease into the throttle to get the boat going, reverse is terrible. Is there an adjustment I can make or do I have to remove the lower unit again and measure. If I have to measure, what position should the rod be in? (Fwd, Nuetral, or Reverse)?

Thanks."

Back