Logo

1989 OMC Cobra 17b Four Winns 170 Freedom

coryjd

"I do not know to much about t

"I do not know to much about this engine other than the dealer specs (I think are wrong). I just bought a 17' Four Winss 170 Freedom with a 128HP Ford OMC Cobra engine. When i was running it last night, and got to plaine, i adjusted the tilt to almost half, and noticed my RPM's were @ 6. Also when the dealer took me out on it, i also noticed it was running at the same. This was when it was floored and the tilt was up some. What is the Max RPM's this should be running at all out? I do not know the size of the prop - nor did i take note at what the RPMS were with the lower unit all the way down. I am taking it out this weekend and will see. But for now i was just wondering what the max should be when running all out.

Thanks."

Max RPM on the 2.3 liter Ford

Max RPM on the 2.3 liter Ford Cobra is around 5600 rpm. The tach could be off so I would suggest you hook up an external tach to make sure of what RPM it is running at. I have an 17" Bayliner with the same setup and I can definitely over-rev the engine if I am not careful. Good Luck

FYI the most common prop size

FYI the most common prop size for this combination is 14 with 17 pitch. This combination seems to give the best all around performance. I have a 13.75 with 15 pitch and it is very easy to over rev the motor.

Back