Logo

What is the correct Trim tilt adjustment i need more speed rpms

markchiz

Contributing Member
"I had posted earlier about no

"I had posted earlier about not being able to attain higher rpm's or a speed above 26 mph, with a newly rebuilt omc 3.0 cobra in a 17 foot four winns freedom. I keep it stored in a marina and the trim has been all the way down, and thats how I have been running it. This season is my first time driving a boat and I was not educated about trim ./ tilt at all. could me running the trim all the way down have affected my lack of rmp's and speed?
what do you guys normally run your trim at?
I'm anxious to take it out tonight and play with the trim and see if I can get the suggested 40mph out of my boat!
your input is appreciatede"

"Trim is different on each boa

"Trim is different on each boat. I usually trim mine up once I am on plane to a point where the steering "feels right". Kind of hard to explain, but you can bump the trim up as you go and that will cause the front of the boat to lift out of the water and increase your speed and fuel mileage. If you go too far your prop will cavitate and you will slow down. On average I would guess that at WOT you should never exceed 1/2 on the guage, usually around 1/4 up depends mostly on speed and water conditions. You should be able to watch your mph for optimum trim/speed settings and ride quality. The Four Winns is a fairly heavy boat and trim should really show a difference. I am running a 21' Four Winns cuddy w/4.3 merc and I adjust my trim constantly. Just remember to lower it for take off as that will get you on plane the fastest, and in rough water you may want to lower it to keep the nose from bouncing as much. Good Luck

Jack"

"Just a side note, My buddy ha

"Just a side note, My buddy has a 20' Sunray with a 260hp merc that will pick up 13 mph with trim alone at WOT! It is a light boat though so don't expect that big of a gain, but let us know what you get!

Jack"

"Hellow, I am new to this so b

"Hellow, I am new to this so bare with me.
I have a 1977 evenrude 115 hp with power tilt and trim. I am looking for information about the tilt. When I tilt it up it will get hot and stop moving, if I let it set for a while it will move again. The tilt motor is hot to the touch when it stops. I would like to know what could cause this and how I could go about troubleshooting it."

Back