Logo

Removing omc Cobra out drive

okcguy75

Well i have the trim rams off

Well i have the trim rams off and the rubber boots loose inside. I see a red cable coming through the backside inside of the out drive. How do i remove that and what is the best way to remove the outdrive? I can take the bolts on top and bottom or the allen bolts one on each side of the out drive? Thanks jason.

"There should not be any water

"There should not be any water milky or otherwise in that upper boot. It's probably water mixed maybe with some grease off the u-joints. Worse case is you will probably need to change the u-joints and the gimbal bearing, neither like water. Check the boot (drive bellows) for any rips or tears, you may need to expand it but it could be shot and need to be replaced."

So you actually started the en

So you actually started the engine up with the drive off and the noise was still there?

"Jason, although the removal i

"Jason, although the removal is pretty straightforward, I strongly recommend that you get a factory service manual for your Cobra. Forget the Seloc and Clymer; they lack the specific adjustmment procedures required. To remove the outdrive, remove the oil dipstick plug from the top of the outdrive. Replace it with an eyebolt to use as a lifting eye; you can get one from most hardware stores. You've already disconnected the trim cylinders, so you're ready to pull the drive. Position a hoist above the unit and adjust to take a little weight. Remove the six elastic locknuts from the outdrive. Now you're ready to pull the outdrive away from the boat. Be careful; it's heavy, and the driveshaft will flop loose and bang around if you don't catch it. The red cable you mentioned is the transom bracket shift cable. While you have the outdrive off, you should check this cable carefully, as a failure of the cable will destroy your gearset. There's a specific adjustment procedure to ensure that everything's in sync. Do a search on "Stuart Hastings" on the internet. He's got a great article on how to adjust this cable. Good luck!"

Thanks Larry and i will check

Thanks Larry and i will check it out.
Bob ya i started the motor and still have the noise. I keep checking oil pressure and checking for metal in oil and nothing. I think it might be in the bell housing area but not sure. I will find out soon.

"OK...here is a link to Stuart

"OK...here is a link to Stuarts site that Larry mentioned, it's very good reading. Also agree that the best manual is the original OMC factory one, you can find them quite often on ebay new and used. You just need to know the engine model # to ensure you get the correct year, you can't assume the engine is the same year as the boat, quite often depending when the boat was built during the model year the dealer may install previous year engine stock that they have.http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/"

Back