Logo

Onan 65kw

lbradsha

Our 1972 cc coho has a Onan 6.

Our 1972 cc coho has a Onan 6.5kw generator.
It's not wired!
Does any one have anything on how this should be wired?
I would be nice to have some idea before I start chasing wires and pulling panels.

"Let me put it this way.
The

"Let me put it this way.
The start button, doesn't.
My meter tells me that I have 0 (zero) volts at all points on the motor.
After the last guy worked on it, the remote start is not wired to anything.
Where do I apply the 12 volts too?"

"Lee,
I would start off with

"Lee,
I would start off with the factory service / installation manual.

This is not something to be messed with by someone with just enough knowledge to be dangerous (no offense) as lives will depend on how well you did and how accurate the information was you got over the internet.

Just remember, "knowledge is power" but a mis wired generator is "out of control" power.

Good luck and be careful.

Rick"

I have the original installati

I have the original installation and owners manual for a 1975 onan 6.5 KW MCCK Series and the Onan T-021 Technical Bulletin Installation manual. Let me know what you need.

"Mark,
I don't know how t

"Mark,
I don't know how the MCCK and the MCE would differ.
But after days of making the boat ready for the 4th?
I am thinking of pulling the genset for overhaul.
I noted some ? modifications ? to the wiring for the fuel pump and the battery charging system.
But this looks to me to be the chance to pull the decking and clear all the raw water systems and electrical systems cables.
Any idea how best to close the raw water valves that don't seem to want to move?
Any thing you could offer would be greatly appreciated."

"OK,
Here's the question.

"OK,
Here's the question.
Were does the raw water go?
I got it running and the raw water pump is beating it's little heart out but can't move the water out of the engine."

"Okay the first thing to do is

"Okay the first thing to do is make sure your impeller is pumping water and that the gen set can get water. Water exits the gen set at the top near the exhaust via a hose run to the exhaust from the gen set. It may go to the muffler instead of the exhaust. I cannot be sure as there are 3 different ways to cool the gen set raw,heat exchanger or keel or skin cooling."

"OK, The raw water side is pum

"OK, The raw water side is pumping water and yes it goes out the exhaust system and exits out the stern.
The engine exceeds 211 degrees after 180 seconds at the pressure cap. I pulled the near side thermostat out and the basic over heat repeats. I have the install manual ordered (MCE-B-A1)as I don't know how the remote wires. Either the cooling pump has failed or the cooling system is blocked. They would both present the same indicators. I am researching the pump now. As it would be the next best choose. The water does not appear to move with the cap off. And the bleed valve has bubbles and the liquid looks right.
The circulating pump (when I figure that out)is not moving enough water as I could see.
Working it out.
Lee"

Back