Logo

1972 Evinrude Sportwin 95

D

DC

I recently acquired a 1972 Ev

I recently acquired a 1972 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 model 9222M. Thanks to Joe for the diagrams and parts numbers for the motor. My father who previously owned the motor took excellent care of it and never let gasoline sit in it. It hasn't been run in about 15 years and I am wondering what to do? Should I try to start it or could this cause damage. It looks well greased and the flywheel turns and the motor shifts easily. My second question if I bring it in for service and tell them it hasn't run in 15 years I am worried they will replace things that don't need to be touched. Should I just bring it in and get a regular service and not tell? Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Dan

Check the coils for cracks &#

Check the coils for cracks (very common) and replacing the water pump impeller is a MUST do since the motor does not have overheat warning system.

" You might be lucky. Try runn

" You might be lucky. Try running it, using a 50/1 fuel/oil mixture. After sitting for that length of time, the carburetor may require rebuilding.

If the engine runs but wants to die out when the throttle is advanced, that's a sign of a fouled carburetor.

Also, the water pump may need replacing but you may be lucky there also.

Check the gearlube via the lower large regular slotted screw in the lower unit skeg. If it needs changing, fill from that bottom large slotted screw hole until it flows out the top oil lever screw hole (same type screw).

Use HiVis gear lube (80/90w) available at Wal*Mart, K-Mart etc. Also available at any dealership but at a slightly higher price of course.

Do not remove the philips screw that is present in the lower unit skeg. That screw is a long shoulder type screw which is actually a pivot point for the internal shift lever.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

" Dan I have this same motor a

" Dan I have this same motor and mine sat clean for a number of years also. I checked the gear lube ,plugs for spark,hoses for cracks,and pumped the primer bulb on the tank to get gas in the carb and it fired up with a couple of pulls. Try turning the lean/rich knob to rich with full choke it seamed to start best there. I would start it first and see if it pumps water before you change the pump. If it was stored inside you might get lucky.

Good luck "

Back