Logo

Smoking MD5a

M

malcolm Paxman

I have a MD5a fitted to a 26f

I have a MD5a fitted to a 26ft sailing cruiser purchased at the start of the season. At anything above half throttle there is a trail of oil from the exhaust and black smoke to the extent that there is now staining on the GRP. I have spoken to the previous owner who claims that the engine ran ok last year. I have run the engine for approx 50 hours this season and used no oil. Before I start a complete rebuild any ideas? could it be injectors or are the rings shot.

Have you changed prop size an

Have you changed prop size and or added a great deal of weight to boat lately? Black smoke is from too much fuel for the load/rpm. Could also be injectors.

" Prop and saildrive original,

" Prop and saildrive original, no increases in boat weight either. Unfortunatly yard pressure washed as lifted out but some signs of barnicles around saildrive anode could this be the problem?? No antifoul protection to anode so how do you rectify??? "

" On a 1 cyl, if it starts tha

" On a 1 cyl, if it starts that is a good sign, Maybe test the injector. I surmise you have changes fuel filters & a clean fuel tank. Verify the prop size. Make sure the engine stop is not partialy on. Yes the previous owner always will say it ran well. I bought a car that was owned by an old lady to and from church once a week. In the trunk I found magnetic rally numbers and a racing helmet HA!! Enjoy, "

Back