Logo

1993 Four Winns 245 Vista

maxum1997

"Hi I'm Tony and a newbie

"Hi I'm Tony and a newbie to this forum. I have some questions about a boat I am considering buying. It has a 454 King Cobra Setup and is currently at a boat broker (www.quinnsboats.com) in Tacoma, WA. It has sat inside his showroom for the winter and when they went to sea trial it about 6 weeks ago it took water into the block so now it is getting a long block and I told him to call me when its running. Its really clean and only 451 hours on hull. I have spoke to 3 local mechanics and they say walk away from any OMC. The last being Wrights Marine in Tacoma who does repowers. He says if I like the boat and the price is right drive it till it blows the OD and maybe repower for $15k with Volvo-Penta. Boat price $13500 including long block. Can I find enough parts if OD goes sideways, lower or upper and shift mechanism? Am I ok with the GMC 454 powerplant? Should the price of boat be considerably lower due to OMC parts scarcity? Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Tony
83495.jpg
1993 245 Vista

"Well if your just looking for

"Well if your just looking for an opinion and remember I'm an OMC guy but I've heard that parts are scarce for the cone clutch big drives. I think 1993 was the last year before OMC started their joint venture with Volvo Penta so it's a pure OMC drive, don't think there's anything wrong the engine except possibly the ignition box could be very hard to find also. If you really like the boat then I would either try to negotiate the price lower due to the OMC or walk away as there are lots of deals out there. As much as I like the OMC's and so far have not had any real problems getting parts for my (1989 460's) I don't think I would buy one today, it's only a matter of time before the parts and technical know how is gone!"

Hello
I just bought a 93'

Hello
I just bought a 93' Four Winns with the 5.0 Corba. the past owner said the engine block was cracked and I bought it as a project boat. However he said he had the engine running inthe last month.I can't get the starter to turn the engine over and have checked the starter and it is fine. Also there is no water in the oil. The soft (freeze) plugs are leaking and not properly installed. Are there any publications that are helpful for engine removal? Any tips would be so much appreciated.
Thank you
Jeff Dees

Back