Logo

Crusader 454 Oil Level

S

Silverton 34

" I have a 1992 34foot Silvert

" I have a 1992 34foot Silverton convertible. I recently purchased the boat from a friend, who filled me in on his continuing question of oil capacity. The issue is, the manual states that the oil capacity is "aprox 7qts" I pumped out using the dip stick tube (garden hose thread, with a good electric oil pump mounted on a bucket) and pumped out just under six quarts, including what I drained from the filter. When I refilled, the oil was on the full mark with only five quarts in the oil pan. Six quarts put me well over the full mark. I do have remote oil filters (Factory installed), mounted on the front of the block, and would assume that the lines and the oil cooler hold half to one quart? The complicated part come in that I am not sure if I have the correct dip sticks, or tubes. The previous owner contacted Crusader, and some how came to the conlusion that the engines were built with the wrong dip stick tubes. Crusader shipped new tubes, and according to the previous owner, there was no change in how the dip stick was reading. Is there a way to verify what dip sticks or tubes should be on these engines? Is it possible that five quarts would fill the pan? That there is two quarts still in the pan or remote oil filter lines/oil cooler? I am not new to this, I have been maintaing boats for many years and never ran into this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. "

"Between the pump out method a

"Between the pump out method and remote oil lines, I wouldn't be surprised if a quart or maybe two were left in the engine. If you're not sure of the dipstick's accuracy, try putting a stiff wire down the tube until it contacts the pan bottom, then mark the top of the wire at the neck of the tube. Compare the length with your dipstick. Normally they should be within 1/4" of each other, the dipstick being slightly shorter. Occasionally a mfg'r will have a bigger gap between the tip of the dipstick and the pan bottom.

I use the suction pump method on my engine and also have remote oil lines with downward loops that always have an oil change coming up 1 qt. short.

One note - don't overfill, it could cause foaming and loss of oil pressure if the sump oil comes in contact with the crank. Maybe Crusader can help you with the dimensions of the proper dipstick.

"

" Crusader marine engines do n

" Crusader marine engines do not usually have the garden hose fitting on their dipstick tubes. If you do you may have purchased Mercruiser or Marine power tubes. There is also a difference in tubes for V-Drive and standard applications.
If youre not sure of what you have there now, you can give me a call at Dania Marine 1-800-748-7739.
thanks, Gabriel Acher "

I am trying to figure out the

I am trying to figure out the routing on my sea water oil cooling lines on my 454 mercruiser 330. The oil by pass valve on the side of the engine has an in and an out mark but I am not sure whether to go to the oil filter first (with hotter oil ) or last. Merc manuals say nothing about this.

Back