Logo

Omc cobra 23 motor and 30 outdrive 2118 ratio

azfourwinns

"Hi all, i am having issues wi

"Hi all, i am having issues with my new boat it has the 2.3 ford omc cobra motor, my outdrive was stolen and all i could find was a 3.0 outdrive, i took it to the lake i hit a max of 10 mph, any ideas, i was using a 17 pitch prop, and was at full weight capacity. any help would be very appreciated. Thanks Beau"

"The gear ratio on the 2.3 OD

"The gear ratio on the 2.3 OD is not the same as the 3.0.

The operating RPMs of the 3.0 are 4400? max., where the 2.3 has a max. of 5600. The 2.3 will never have enough torque to get you going with that combination. Until you can find the correct upper drive, or get yours converted, try using a 13" pitch prop. Dealers who sell pontoon boats will most likely stock this prop.

Good luck

Rick"

"yeah i knew they werent the s

"yeah i knew they werent the same but i figured id try, because it was all i could find. thanks for your input i will try the 13 pitch prop"

"Or does anyone know where i c

"Or does anyone know where i could get a 2.3 outdrive i will gladly trade my newly rebuilt 3.0 plus or minus cash, the OD only has about 15 minutes on the rebuild. thanks"

I have a 2.3 omc with either t

I have a 2.3 omc with either the 1.68:1 or 1.59:1 large gear set. When I bought the boat it was on there.

My boat is a pretty heavy 17 footer. It does okay with a 14x13 prop. It tops out at around 33 mph with just me and the rpms are at around 5600 if my gauge is accurate.

I sold a brand new omc sst prop on ebay last week for $120. That would have been perfect for you. It was a 13 3/4 x 13. It probably would have put you very close to where you needed to be rpm wise.

Back