Logo

Johnson Seahorse Model VX105 HP 60

darren

" I need some advice, I have r

" I need some advice, I have recently purchased a boat with a Johnson Outboard Motor, the previous owner advised that the engine should although it has not been started in 3 years.

From searching sites I believe the engine must be a 1964 model as the plate reads Model number VX-105 (Not sure what the last digit 5 represents)

Being in Australia it has been difficult to obtain any manuals to ensure prior to starting that I do not do any damage.

I am not sure of the fuel mix
For 3 years the engine has been raised I have since placed it in its normal operating position and have noticed a honeycomb colored oil seeping from I believe the water inlet. I think it is gearbox oil but I do not know where to insert more just so I can see that it starts without causing demage.

Any advice and information on what sort of manual I should get would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks "

" Darren... The engine is inde

" Darren... The engine is indeed a 1964 60hp Johnson.

The lower unit drain and oil level screws are the two large slotted screws that you see, one in the lower portion of the unit, then one just over the cavitation plate. Fill from the bottom until the lube flows out the top oil level hole. Use what is called "HiVis" (80/90w) gearcase lube which is available at Wal*Mart, K-Mart and no doubt other stores. It is of course available at any marine dealership but at a higher cost.

If that lower unit has a philips screw located in/at the skeg, DO NO REMOVE it as that would be a piviot point for the internal shift lever linkage.

A engine sitting for that length of time would in all liklihood have a fouled carburetor. After removing the top portion, if you intend to remove the two high speed nozzles (the two tubes, each retained by two screws), carefully scribe a line around the retained area so that you will be able to return them to their original position. Their alignment is critical.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the fixed high speed jets (2) which are located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

"Darren,

We can provide the

"Darren,

We can provide the factory manuals with shipment to Australia. The shipping cost to Australia may exceed the $9.50 shown in the shopping cart depending on the weight of the manuals you order.

pre-1980 Johnson manuals

Regards,
Andrew"

" Thanks so much Joe thats bee

" Thanks so much Joe thats been a great help, Can you help me with the fuel mix?

Andrew have ordered the manuals "

Darren.... That engine is des

Darren.... That engine is designed in such a manner that it is perfectly safe to use the 50/1 fuel/oil mixture (1pt 50/1 oil to 6gal gasoline).

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

" Joe thanks for your help, th

" Joe thanks for your help, the engine started first time without any adjustment, I bet they don't make them the way they use to. I am not mechanically minded and whilst I await the manual I have ordered which may answer some questions.
I lost a fair amount of oil (I would say gear case oil) whilst the engine was running. I notice under the cavitation plate just forward of the water inlet a small hold (the size of 3 pinheads) This hold was leaking quite a bit of oil after the engine stopped. I presume a lot of the seals may have perished over the 3 years of inactivity. Are these seals easy to replace and find.
Also I expected a stream of water to be expelled through a hole 3/4 the way up on the leg. Does this model draw and expel through the same outlet on the under side of the cavitation plate. "

Back