Logo

Rear main seal oil leak omc 1991 30

M

mark chisholm

"I'm thinking the rear mai

"I'm thinking the rear main seal was improperly installed when my engine was rebuilt, and now i have a steady leak when i run the engine. (drip comes out every 4 or 5 secfonds into the bilge). this is my guess anyway.
is there any way to confirm it is in fact the rear main, while the engine is still in the boat? side access is easily available to the engine, and seeing under it is no problem either.
I just dont want to pull the engine out (what i was planning on doing this week) and then finding out its leaking from some place else. also, to replace this, is it a standard automotive gm one? or is there a special marine aplication?

am I wrong in assuming that with a proper lift, i can pull the engine, replace the seal, and drop the engine back in, all within a few hours?

any input on this would be great help before i tackle this problem. tired of a bilge full of oil and having to top it up all the time!"

"Not sure what your setup is,

"Not sure what your setup is, but i have a 3.0 that has a special connector at the bottom of the oil pan to allow me to pump out the engine oil. I too had some dripping into the bilge and found that the adapter was loose where it screws into the pan. Might want to check that if you haven't already (and, of course, have the same setup)."

"it is dripping off the end of

"it is dripping off the end of that connector in the bottom of the pan, and its been tightened down, but i just cant see if its dripping down from above, on the rear main, and drizzling onto this plug, and then into the bilge. i'll head to the marina tomorrow with a flashlight and a mirror and seee up under it."

Back