Logo

1990 4 Winns with OMC 30 4 cyl

dan1970

"Hey Guys

got a problem I n

"Hey Guys

got a problem I need some help with. Today I had the boat(1990 4 Winns 170 Freedom) out on the lake, pulling my kids around on the tube. I stopped and shifted into reverse to back up a bit..then shifted back into neutral and my boat "killed" I tried to start up the engine again, but it was dead. After checking stuff over, everything was dead. It was almost like a "blew" a circuit breaker or fuse. I have no ignition, no horn, no bilge pump, no blower. The ONLY thing that still works is the Power Tilt n trim.

Did I blow a fuse or trip some kind of breaker?? I looked under the driver side dash and all along back to the engine, but couldn't find my fuse box or anything. I checked the ignition fuse that is mounted on the dash, but that was still fine.

So I assume, for some reason, I blew some type of fuse or circuit breaker, but I don't know where to look to find the problem. I have a brand new battery, so I know the battery isn't dead, and like I said, the power trim still works just fine, but no power to anything else.

HELP!

Dan"

"The Cobra's have 2 50 amp

"The Cobra's have 2 50 amp glass fuses on top of the engine near the main wiring harness. They are inside big black rubber waterproof inline fuse holders. One is for your power trim only and the other is for the rest of the engine. If that one goes you won't be able to start the engine but what puzzles me is you losing all the other stuff. None of that stuff should be wired to the engine fuse, they should be fed off a buss somewhere and have their own fuses?"

"Bob,

Ok, I'll check th

"Bob,

Ok, I'll check the "inline fuses" and see what's up with that. Yeah, I thought there would be some kind of "junction/fuse block or terminal of some type..but I've scoured the underside of my dash and down along side the boat back to the engine compartment, and I can't find a fuse block or anything anywhere.

Like I said, I'll check out the 50 amp fuses you told me about and report back tomorrow with my findings

Dan"

"Hey Bob,

Ok, I found the &

"Hey Bob,

Ok, I found the (2) 50 amp fuses, and checked them. Sure enough, one of them was blown. So I am now getting a new fuse. I still have yet to find any type of a fuse block for any of the dash mounted items like the radio which has a fuse inline, and then all the dash items like key switch, temp, etc have fuses all built into the face of the dash.

Anyway Thought I'd let you know that one of those 50 amp fuses that was the problem.

Dan"

"Glad you found the fuse Dan,

"Glad you found the fuse Dan, if you replace it and the other stuff starts to work then that means someone has wired those accessories off the engine and that isn't right."

Bigger question is why did you

Bigger question is why did you blow a fuse while shifting gears! 50 amps is a major load. Better look for chaffed wires shorting to ground near your shifter and along the shifter cables.

Jack

Back