Logo

Oil pan leak omc 30

M

mark chisholm

"Just rebuilt my 91 four winns

"Just rebuilt my 91 four winns omc 3.0
tightened everything to shop manual torque specs, new rubber pan gasket. looked in the bilge after a run in the lake yesterday and noticed a steady drip of oil, every few seconds, coming from what appeared to be the pan drain plug. A new washer/plug gasket was included with my rebuild kit but I forgot to install the new one, and used the one currently on the plug / vacuum line. could this be the source of my leak?? i tightened it up another half turn, still leaks. makes a slimey mess in the bilge, and I'd hate to be adding oil all summer. any suggestions? i dont want to overtighten the pan screws, but it seems to leak out from the seal between oil pan and block!"

"Very hard to tell when not th

"Very hard to tell when not there. But to help control the mess a bit most marine shops carry these bilge socks and pads, they sit down in the bilge and will soak up oil and gas so that it doesn't get pumped out with the bilge water."

"You can try this: Go to a go

"You can try this: Go to a good auto store and buy a product called "Seal All". It comes in a yellow tube. Clean the pan up best as you can with rags and lacquer thinner, then smear this stuff on around the drain bolt. It adherses very well, even on a gas tank that's leaking gas, and should solve your problem.

Jeff"

Change the o-ring on the pan p

Change the o-ring on the pan plug - same issue I had with my '85 3.0

Back