Logo

43L oil pressure

captaindave

"I have a 1987 Doral Cavalier

"I have a 1987 Doral Cavalier equipped with a 4.3L Mercruiser. I have had 5 years of trouble free boating but this year I just noticed that when I start the engine, the oil pressure gauge shows at the tip of the red area. Once the engine is warm and we are underway the oil pressure is perfect. Basically when the engine is at idle the gauge reads low. Where should I start?"

"What weight of oil do you run

"What weight of oil do you run?
Does it show low idle oil pressure when cold or hot or both?
How many hours on it?
Your bearings may be getting loose enough to cause low pressure, or your oil pump may be getting worn, or the pickup screen may be getting plugged off with sludge and crud.
Your sender could also be in error, or the gauge may be inaccurate. The first thing you should try is hooking up a direct reading mechanical gauge in place of the sender and see what it shows.
Rod"

"Hi Rod, I run mercruiser 25W-

"Hi Rod, I run mercruiser 25W-40 and have for the past 5 years. It shows low pressure when cold and hot at idle and there is approx 900hrs on it"

"I'd check with a mechanic

"I'd check with a mechanical gauge, and if it is really low, I'd suggest and R&R with an oilpan removal for inspection. If things are getting loose they will only get worse, and now is the time to fix her up.
You may want to investigate a complete repower package."

"ok thanks Rod, I'll try t

"ok thanks Rod, I'll try that out this weekend. She's been a great boat and I don't want to run into trouble by neglecting her."

Back