Logo

Lower Unit

rcaponeg

I installed a fresh water cool

I installed a fresh water cooling kit in my new 305 MPI mercruiser. After installation and trial run I noticed the starboard side exhaust elbow running hot at idle but would cool down at higher RPM. Thinking that the pump was pumping more at higher RPM to cool the elbow I decided to drop the lower housing and check the pump. (Alpha drive) I found the sealing washer on the top of the pump housing missing. Either it was left off during assembly or the dealer had it apart for some reason. Do you think the missing seal would have that much impact on the pump output and does anyone have any tips on how to reinstall the lower unit? I am having trouble with lining up the water tube because I cant see it. Thank you Bob

"While you are at it why not i

"While you are at it why not inspect and replace the impeller? Then you know where you are at with it.
The missing slinger washer will definitely reduce pump flow, but it's hard to say how much.
Obviously replace it on reassembly. An impeller kit includes a new one.
To reinstall the lower unit, make sure you grease the pump output nipple and the plastic coupler sleeve O rings well with 101 or 2-4-C grease. It takes some doing to get the pump nipple thru the O rings, so just persevere. Sometimes it works better to put the plastic coupler on the pump nipple first, then fit the other end to the copper water pipe upon re-assembly. At least this way you can kind of see them come together thru the front exhaust opening. Give it a try.
Don't beat on it or force anything. Just play around and eventually it will fit up. It is a little easier to do with the drive off the boat and the lower housing held in a vise or stand. Then you lower the upper housing down and guide the vertical shaft into the upper seal, then the water tube into the coupler thru the exhaust opening.
Make sure you use a new quad ring seal on the lube oil channel, and put a dab of grease on it to hold it in place in the lower housing while you are fiddling with the water tube fitup.
Rod"

Back