Logo

1983 38L Omc engine coupler

C

Crasea

"I appolgize if this is a doub

"I appolgize if this is a double post. First time didn't seem to work.
I pulled my engine for a rebuild. The ball gear shaft did not come out easily. Anyway, I had rust in the coupling. I'm not sure I need to replace it. Maybe just the o-ring. At some of the prices I've seen for this little part, I may let it run as is. Do you think e-bay is my best bet price wise? I think the pn is 0980994.Any help will be appreciated."

"1yay4eBay
I just sold one on

"1yay4eBay
I just sold one on eBay about a month ago- mint condition for $35 - I can't vouch for the quality of other couplers on there, but I thought the buyer of mine got a good deal...
If the splines on yours are not sharp or worn, then clean it out with a seal pick, solvent etc... replace the oring and pack with castrol pyroplex blue or mercruiser spline grease or any other hydroactivated grease that wont wash out or fly out from centrifugal force.... regular grease if that's all you have"

"Thanks Hystat,
Wish I would

"Thanks Hystat,
Wish I would've started earlier. There is some wear but there's wear on the shaft too and that won't be cheap. Probably shoud do both if I do either.
Thanks for the recommendation on the grease. I was thinking of using anti-sieze compound. Do you think that would work?"

Back