Logo

1991 Cobra 30 ESA problems

M

Mark Chisholm

"i drive a 1991 omc 3.0 cobra,

"i drive a 1991 omc 3.0 cobra, and have been having some trouble with shift assist. it works fine for reverse, but when i went to put the boat in Forward, it stalls the engine each and every time. so i disconnected it, and shifted it into F, and it went fine. It seems it is stalling the rpms to shift, but not letting off to return to normal RPM's, and staying engaged. I run it now with it disengaged, any suggestions as to what i should do? will running it disconnected harm my outdrive, or just make it harder to shift?"

"Right now i try to use revers

"Right now i try to use reverse minmally, as it is difficult to shift smoothly into. basically just to back out of my slip, and the odd time when returning to my slip to provide braking when pulling in. Do you know of any longterm adverse affects that my disconnected ESA wires will cause? or are they just an added convienience for the boatiung experience?"

I am not an expert but I would

I am not an expert but I would think that eventually the gears in your leg will blow if not corrected. The esa is essential to proper shifting.
good luck

"By leaving the ESA disconnect

"By leaving the ESA disconnected, you are just avoiding the real problem which is most likely a bad or maladjusted lower shift cable. You will eventually probably wreck your clutch dogs and gear set."

Back