Logo

Winterizing Detroit Diesel engines

J

jwmorris

" For instructions to winteriz

" For instructions to winterize Detroit Diesel 12v71 engines, do I need the Operators Manual or the Service Manual? "

" jwmorris,

The owner's

" jwmorris,

The owner's manual has a section titled "engine storage". It also has a section on how to drain and flush the cooling system. But... the owner's manual is small, about 90 pages small format, so it doesn't have a lot of detail on anything.

So to answer your question I would say that yes, the owners manual covers winterizing/storage... but without a lot of detail. The Service manual has much more detail on all the systems, but doesn't address winterizing/storage specifically.

Hope that helps...

Regards,
Andrew "

"As the owner of such expansiv

"As the owner of such expansive machines you need the service manual in your boat library. It is a must have manual. I would suggest you get it and read it. It will make you, if not a DD mechanic, an educated consumer.

Olymbitis"

I have a series 60 marine dies

I have a series 60 marine diesel engine and would like to know how to winterize the engine. The engine does not have sea water strainer to add antifreeze into the engine.

"engines must be heat exchange

"engines must be heat exchanger cooled, if so then test antifreeze add as needed,if in cold area use a small heater in engine room. if not going to use thr winter change fuel filters."

Back