Logo

Just Bought A 1993 Rienell 197 brxl 20b wOMC 50 wcobra drive

punkyboater

Im a V-drive guy and have litt

Im a V-drive guy and have little expierience with OMC set ups and was wondering if there are any common probs or things i should check before taking it out. The boat has 180 hours on it and has been sitting in Vegas for the last five years. I picked up an impeller kit for the boat and have not installed it yet. So far i have charged up the battery and turned the boat on and checked all the lights and also raised and lowerd the outdrive. Checked to see if the blower unit worked which it did and also to see how much fuel was left in the tank. Theres around a quarter of a tank left and it didnt smell like it was all that bad. I was thinking about filling her up and putting in some injector cleaner and fireing the boat up with the mufffs after i install the impeller. Any certain way i should install the impeller? Anything else i should check on or does anyone have any advice or things i should keep my eye on. Thanks in advance to any and all advice. *PB*

"A couple of things. Look at t

"A couple of things. Look at the top of the motor where the shift and accelerator cables are. The cable leading out to the outdrive should be red. If it is not, have it changed and calibrated immediately. there was a problem in the early years that folks thought was due to gears, but in fact was due to the original cable not fully engaging. the upper unit would eat itself up. The red cable takes care of that.

Also, shifting should be very light, i.e. can do it with 2 fingers, if not, see above.

Other than that, it is a great drive"

would a 93 be considered an ea

would a 93 be considered an early year? I'll check regardless but was there a year that they corrected the problem? Thanks

"This was an early problem and

"This was an early problem and there were recall notices sent out but anything built by late 89 or 90 should have had only the red cable in it. This link will give you some interesting reading about it and specifically one man's efforts to deal with it.Some very useful info regarding Cobra's in there.

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/"

"Cool, mines a 93 so hopefully

"Cool, mines a 93 so hopefully im good. I'll still check when i get home and thank you for the link. -Mike"

One thing i forgot to ask. I

One thing i forgot to ask. I have not run the boat yet but while i was cleaning it up i found the bolt-on trim fins in the bildge storage. The previous owner didnt know much about the boat and used it three or four times during the 5 years they owned it. Anyways would there be any reason that the trim fins would not be on the drive? I put them back on and from the bend on the washers i could tell that they had been installed at one time or another. Also what are the purpose of these things? Obviously they make the boat more stable but ive never seen anything like this before.

Back