Logo

43L IO question

dennisr

"My brother-in-law has a 4.3L

"My brother-in-law has a 4.3L Chevrolet engine in his boat. I think it's a Mercruiser drive unit. The engine runs fine when it's neutral, but when he engages into forward and starts bringing the the throttle on, the motor loads up and will stall. Is this most likely a carb problem that only occurs with a load? Thanks"

does it run fine in gear at id

does it run fine in gear at idle? What do you mean by "load up". Stalls under load?

line wrapped around the prop?

"Thanks for the reply.
It see

"Thanks for the reply.
It seems run fine in gear at idle. It stalls when under load, almost like it's not getting enough gas when loaded (applying throttle)

I thought the same about something around the prop, it's clean.
thanks"

"Look for a fuel starvation is

"Look for a fuel starvation issue. Filters clean? Look for water/trash in the filter. If there is an in-line filter at the carb, check that too.

Simple way to check if this is fuel starvation is to apply power under load until it boggs down and give one spray of carb cleaner down the carb throat. If will recover if its fuel starvation. Be careful!"

I'll bet that it needs an

I'll bet that it needs an accellerator pump to give it a shot of fuel upon accelleration. Guy

maybe. but it should survive a

maybe. but it should survive a gradual increase in power throttle position even without the accel pump. hmmm

David H. et al:

Don't

David H. et al:

Don't you think Dennis should provide an engine year and carb type? Maybe it's an EFI fuel system or a pressurized pflueggerhaggen backfire system. Haven't seen one of those before. Guy

"Hi
Had exactly the same prob

"Hi
Had exactly the same problem with my boat!
Turned out to be weak spark from ignition coil,
Replace the coil.
Good luck
mike"

Back