Logo

OMC Cobra 50 GM misses under load

dwlog

"I have a 1988 24' Bayline

"I have a 1988 24' Bayliner with OMC Cobra Chev 5.0 305 with 500 hours. I recently bought her from the original owner who had her dry-stored for 8+ years with marginal care. I have replaced and/or rebuilt distributor, all ignition components, carb, ESA module, remote shift and throttle control cables, and totally serviced engine and outdrive. I have run this boat for about 40 hours since I bought her and I have had an ongoing problem with engine performance "under load" which I attribute to the lower shift cable adjustment. Right now my main problem is this boat will not accellerate under load. It begins to miss at about 1500-1800 RPM when in gear in the water. The engine runs very loud and it labors intensely to get to 2400 - no matter how far forward I push the throttle. The engine does not lose oil pressure or over-heat, but it creates much crankcase vapor (blow-by) and it has used 2 quarts of oil in the last 8 hours of engine time. I have adjusted, re-adjusted, checked and re-checked the ESA/ interruptor and over-stroke swithes several times. I am aware of the Hastings site and I have a hardcopy of his instructions at my side. I am not certain this problem is related to the ESA or the lower cable adjustment.
The engine and outdrive operate smoothly and strong when I run them in the driveway, on the hose with earmuffs. This unit will easily turn 3500 to 4000 RPM, in neutral or in gear (F or R.
All this is without a load on the engine, of course.
I do not know the history of the lower shift cable on this boat. I have removed the outdrive several times and I am confident the lower cable connections at the transom mount are all correct and within spec - as detailed by Hastings. Even so, the existing lower cable does not, and cannot, have the prescribed 7-5/8 inch dimension at the engine end as noted by Hastings. My cable has a measurement of about 6-5/8 inches, but all the other connections and geometry seems to work. Except the boat still does not shift with "a finger" and it can't get beyond 1800 RPM and it is sucking oil and gas - not to mention possible mechanical damage. I seem to be able to adjust the remote cable to fit the shortened lower cable length at the trunion end and make the remote shifter work properly. So when I make those adjestmet, why does the outdrive not shift with "a finger" and why is the prescribed 7-5/8 dimension so important?
I owned another 1988 Bayliner with the same engine and outdrive from 1990 to 2005, so I have done my time with the OMC Cobra and all her quirks. I replaced the lower cable in that boat with an OEM OMC kit at about 700 hours. That boat developed a cut-out or miss, under load, during the last year I owned her and I never quite got the problem fixed. This (similar)problem began occurring two years after I replaced the lower cable. The problem became somewhat sporatic and it ultimately was passed to the next owner along with the boat.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that might help to solve my current problem?"

Is it possible your ESA is kic

Is it possible your ESA is kicking in while accelerating under load? If it has the overstroke switch and all is adjusted correctly it should prevent this from happening but just incase either have a friend drive while you watch and see if the interrupt switch is moving or just unplug the ESA module for a test and see if that improves it. Remember the ESA doesn't stall a well tuned engine it only pulses the coil so it can act like a bad miss.

"Thanks Bob for responding...I

"Thanks Bob for responding...I have done both tests and neither effects the problem. I unplugged ESA and the lack of power did not change or improve. I did every ESA test I could think of and could find nothing amiss with the switches or binding or geometry of the whole engine right-side outdrive shifting lash-up.

I am researching other ignition tune-up issues.

Not to dispute the Hastings site or OMC, but I am puzzled by a mandated dimension between the cable end and the jacket nut rear face for lower outdrive control cable (7-5/8"+/-). I believe the more important dimension would be between the jacket trunion and the cable end (cable guide attachment hole). The latter dimension has a direct effect on the geometry of the levers, cam and switch positions and travel of the remote control cable.

Anybody, please help me out here. What am I missing. Why is the former dimension critical?"

"If it sat that long, how good

"If it sat that long, how good/ clean is the fuel? You can't drain/ syphon it all out, so there's gotta be some crud and water still in there.

Could you borrow an outboard fuel tank and hook it up temporarily to see what happens?

Jeff"

Back