Logo

94 115hp Mercury Stator Problems

richardwclark

" The original black stator on

" The original black stator on this motor went out 18 months ago. I changed it to the red model and everything was fine again. Now it appears that the "no spark" problems have reoccurred. Output voltage at stator is .154DVA (thats "point"154 according to my meter)at cranking RPM - Spec is 190. Stator resistance is within spec and stator is not shorted to ground. I am in the process of pulling the flywheel to look for cracked magnets, etc. Does this seem correct that the continuity etc seems fine but output voltage is so low. Does this indicate faulty stator or some other symptom.
If it does turn out to be the stator again, why does this reccur so soon especially since this motor only gets used 4 mos per year. "

" Richard,

The resistance c

" Richard,

The resistance can read fine, and yet the stator can still be defective. This can be a difficult problem to diagnose, even if you have lots of experience and the proper test equipment.

These stators are famous for failing repeatedly. I always replace them with stators from CDI electronics. They look different, but are far more dependable. You can purchase these at www.seilermarine.com for quite a bit less than it would cost from Mercury.

You can read about these products at www.rapair.com. Rapair distributes a number of products, and the web site is a good refernce source for the applications, but the price is higher thatn Seiler Marine.

Tony "

Back