Logo

Johnson 8Hp

rob

" Hello,

Having completely

" Hello,

Having completely refurbished and reassembled the motor, I have ignition problems. Will almost start and coughs once but no ignition. Compression is OK. I suspect a timing problem. Is timing completely automatic on this motor or can it be changed when the armature plate and flywheel is reassembled?
May even be something else?
Any Suggestions? "

" Rob.... The armature plate a

" Rob.... The armature plate and flywheel can only be assembled in one way so it's quite unlikely you've made an error there.

I am assuming that you have compression. The spark, with the plugs out, should jump a 7/16" gap. Does it?

The engine can be thrown out of time only if the flywheel key has sheared, or if you've somehow got the coils reversed, or their connections reversed. If this is the case, the engine would fire out the exhaust loudly.

If the cough is more of a spitting back type thing, sounds like a mild backfire, in all probability the carburetor is fouled or improperly adjusted somewhat.

When you say "refurbished", I take it that you are saying that you've rebuilt the engine? If so, the carburetor should be cleaned and rebuilt with a complete kit also as the major causes of engine failures are fouled carburetors that result in having the engine run lean. Pay particular attention to the high speed jet which would be located at the bottom center area of the float chamber.

You don't state the year of the engine. Should it have a slow speed needle valve adjustment, the adjustment procedure is as follows.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Back