Logo

Long Storage New Motor Start Up Tips Merc 470 37L

eriku19

"Hello Everyone,

First off

"Hello Everyone,

First off i'd like to thank everyone for such an awesome site.

I have a freshly rebuilt 170 that is going in within the next couple days. Since this stern has not been driven in over 2 years I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on what to check for before starting it up. I'd like to make sure everything is filled and aligned so i do not damager the motor or the stern.

I have read that the stern will need to be removed and the engine will need to be aligned with an alignment tool to ensure proper wear. Failure to do so will cause the gimble/shaft to fail. Has anyone had experience aligning this motor? What is involved in removing the Stern? It looks like it comes off as an enture assy. but i'm wondering what gaskets/seals i might need to replace. Any insight on this would be very very helpfull...

Also my repair manual specifically states that starting the motor OUT of the water will damage the Stern Pump....is this true? I was hoping to start the motor up and test/tune it before hitting the water..."

You can run it out of the wate

You can run it out of the water for a couple minutes with no damage(meaning 2or 3 minutes).All you have to do is get a big trah barrel and stick the outdrive in the barrel full of water and you can do you starting and tunning all day long.
Either that or get a set of ear muffs and hook a garden hose up to them and you can run it that way also.

"Definitely go for the "ea

"Definitely go for the "ear muffs" and garden hose. Muffs are available at any marine store. DO NOT start the engine without water supply to the drive leg impeller some way or another!!
You can easily R&R the drive leg. You should get yourself a manual and you will need a drive leg installation gasket set. Very inexpensive; about 6 bucks at any marine store.
The alignment is important after any work that disturbs the engine mounting. Again you need a manual, and you need to borrow an alignment tool.
Rod"

"Thank guys. I have the mannu

"Thank guys. I have the mannual...it just sucks! I've been into cars forever so perhaps i'm just use to the detailed manuals that you can get for those...exploded pictures, etc...

So 'ear muffs' is a part made to supply water to your stern while you run/tune it out of the water? Excellent.

Can't stress enough the thanks..."

Back