Logo

43 Starting Problems

tylow

While attempting to start the

While attempting to start the engine I sometimes have no power going to the starter - Yet power is getting to the ingnition switch as all gauges are active. If I continue to turn the key on and off it will start after many tries.
I have replaced the starter - I am a novice to the boating world so any suggestions would be appreciated.

"Check the ignition key switch

"Check the ignition key switch output first. If it is operating w/o a voltage drop, the go to the starter slave solenoid on the engine, not the starter solenoid. Test it first by jumping together the two large terminals on top of it. If the starter tries to run each time you jump it but not when you turn the ignition key, then I would replace it especially if the screw posts on top are dark and not clean copper.

Guy"

"If you can hear clicking ever

"If you can hear clicking every time you hit the start key, then it is either your slave solenoid or your starter/solenoid. If not, it is likely a bad key switch.
Rod"

Tom check your main engine neg

Tom check your main engine neg grd connector and wire back to the battery. Sometimes they can develop resistance from humidity or other due to dis-similar metals.

Back