Logo

57 Idle Problems

lvfiveo

"Man yet another problem with

"Man yet another problem with this thing.....anyways....

It has a difficult time idleing, it will die if the idle is set below 1000 rpm as soon as the drive is engaged. I have the idle set around 1800 rpm and it will engage and go just fine, but that is way too fast for wakeless speeds.

Also to start it you need to pump the accelerator a couple of times and it will fire right up otherwise it will just turnover.

Last year it used to diesel when it would shut down, doesnt do that anymore, but it doesnt want to idle.

There have been a couple occasions when cruising at higher speeds the boat would suddlenly shut off.

I was thinking it was the carb, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

The engine is a 2000 5.7 compettiton ski engine with the 2bbl"

"What make/model is the boat?

"What make/model is the boat? If it's a Malibu, I assume it's a Mercruiser, right? If it's a Supra/Moomba, it's probably Indmar.

Wait- a competition ski boat with a 2 bbl carb? Never heard of that.

Check/verify the proper base timing first. Make sure the plugs/wires/cap/rotor are fresh, correct and the firing order is correct. Make sure the flame arrestor is clean and clear of any debris. You're supposed to idle at 600-650 RPM and it should idle down to about 400 in neutral, then kill. Run-on can be an indication of hot spots, caused by lean fuel setting/wrong timing advance/extreme operating temperature. Make sure the raw water pump impeller is working properly and the cooling system is clear. The oil cooler may have weeds or other debris in it. That can kill a motor.

The 5.7L motor is very durable but if the carb is set wrong, there's old bad gas in it and it's gunked up, the fuel filter is clogged or there's a restriction in the fuel line, it'll never run right. You'll need to check these out, or have it done for you."

"I believe I found the problem

"I believe I found the problem the electic choke does not appear to work, If I manually adjust the valve at the top of the carb I can get the motor to run just fine, the second I let go the engine dies."

there should be an electricall

there should be an electrically heated choke pull-off. Make sure that is getting power. Also - make sure the carburetor base gasket is not leaking (sucking in) air.

"The carb was in really bad sh

"The carb was in really bad shape, the choke plate moved freely, once I had the carb rebuilt it seemed to be sort of spring loaded now, I cant put it back on the boat until Monday we will have to see how it works then."

Back