Logo

Yamaha repower

rossm

I have a 1993 Chapparral that

I have a 1993 Chapparral that has a Yamaha stern drive no motor ( it was a 4.3L). i also have Mercruiser 4.3 engine complete with alpha 1 stern drive. does it require any modidfications to the transum

"I Believe the transom Holes a

"I Believe the transom Holes are the Same,......
Or atleast Nearly the Same......

It should be a reasonably Easy Swap........"

"It would also be a SMART swap

"It would also be a SMART swap, for Yammy stuff is hard to find. Think "resale"!

Jeff"

"I also have a 1990 1900 SL Ch

"I also have a 1990 1900 SL Chapparel with a 4.3 Yamaha sterndrive unit. Every boat shop around here says that you cannot just swap the stern drives. They all tell me that the transom would need to be re-drilled and the old holes covered back up. the impression I get is that it would be cheaper to look for a new boat than to install a new motor and stern drive. My boat is running fine but I am waiting for the day that the yamaha dies, then what do you do????"

"Get in touch with your local

"Get in touch with your local arsonist! Just kidding. I feel your pain here, but it's gotta be better to spend the money to install a "normal" outdrive and make it salable. And if you do it up really nice, the value of your boat for resale will reflect this.

A case in point...We looked at a Baha Cruiser once--a total piece of crap--but it had a nice, new 454 Mercruiser/ Bravo III setup in it. I passed on it--the wife got the hives just thinking about being in that moldy cabin--but he still sold it for good $$$.

Jeff"

"has anyone made the swap to a

"has anyone made the swap to a "normal" stern drive? I am wondering what the cost was. I see a lot on nice boats already set up with a "normal" drive in the $8000.00 range. I would like to see what is the better road to take, buy another boat or invest the money back into mine.
The pluse would be mine would be up to date and would then be a great boat. or spend months looking for another boat.
It all comes down to cost. So, I ask again has anyone made the swap? and how much did it cost you?"

"I purchased a 4.3 L with ster

"I purchased a 4.3 L with sterndrive for $2000. the only modificationsI have had to make so far are two more holes that had to be drilled in the transom. the Yamaha holes matched the Mercruiser, Mercruiser has 8 holes and Yamaha has 6."

"So you actualy replaced your

"So you actualy replaced your Yamaha stern drive for the mercruiser! as I said before everyone I talk to looks at me like I am crazy. I would think it would be a normal thing to do, replace the old with something new. Did it bolt up to a 4.3 chevy engine? did you do the work yourself? how long did the changeover take? what if anything did you have to buy to change out the stern drive?
This is great news for me to hear, let me know alll that was involved please."

"I did the complete swap Engin

"I did the complete swap Engine and sterndrive. I am told the 4.3 is the same Chevy engine but I don't have the old motor to compare. I am just cleaning up the wiring mess in the engine compartment, the new motor will go in next week. The motor mounts in the Hull are not the same what I have done is filled the old holes with a Urethane epoxy this should add strength when I bolt the new mounts in. so far it has taken two people about 6 hours to pull the old drive, clean up the boat, drill a couple holes and isntall the new drive. I would say we are average back yard mechanics and have only needed basic tools and a floor jack so far. we will need a engine hoist for the motor. I will let you know how the motor goes in."

"Good deal.
So that I am cor

"Good deal.
So that I am correct. Your boat has no motor in it at this time.
All you had to do was drill a couple of new holes for the mercruiser sterndrive, the old holes were used again.
I am not going to change my motor it is working fine. I wonder how the mercruiser will line up with the motor in my boat? I am sure it will not be a perfect fit. that may be were everyone is telling me that it will start to get expensive.
keep me informed, sounds like you are half way there."

"[b]"I am not going to cha

""I am not going to change my motor it is working fine. I wonder how the mercruiser will line up with the motor in my boat? I am sure it will not be a perfect fit. that may be were everyone is telling me that it will start to get expensive."

Ayuh,........... That's the Fly in the Ointment.................

It'll be Cheaper,+ Easier to find a Merc powered boat that Has the Engine/ Drive combo that You Want,........
Buy it,+ Junk it......... Strip it......
That way you'll Have all those little bitty pieces that'll Co$t you the price of your 1st born's College Education.......

Then Sell all the left over Stuff on ebay.......

I've repowered quite a few boats,....
A Donor Boat is the Only $en$eable way to do it....."

Back