Logo

In Dire Need of assistance

maxtor

Contributing Member
"I've got a problem with m

"I've got a problem with my boat that I am in DIRE need of some help or advice. It's a 120 HP Mercruiser in a 1985 Sylvan.

Here's the scenario:

A few weeks ago, brought the boat to the ramp. It started right up, idled great, and ran great at full throttle. When we came back into shore some time later, we got to the mouth of the channel, brought it to an idle and it died, wouldn't start again. Had to be towed in. A guy looked at it and said it wasn't getting any fuel. So, I changed the Inline Water Separator, the Fuel Filter in the Carb and the one on the Fuel Pump. After that, the boat started up great, idled great, but after about a 10 minute ride to a fishing spot, it died and wouldn't start again. After I let it sit for about 20 minutes, it started up again. Once we got back to the channel, as soon as it came to an idle, it died again, and we had to be towed in again. Someone said that it sounded like the fuel pump was quitting once it got hot. So, I bought and installed a new fuel pump. Had it in the driveway with the muffs on. It started right up and ran great. Got to the boat ramp, once in the water it started right up, idled great, and ran great at full throttle to our fishing spot. Once the boat was brought down to idle, (you guessed it) it died and wouldn't start. After about 10 to 20 minutes, it started again. Got to the channel, as soon as it goes to idle, died and wouldn't start.
Does ANYONE have any suggestions or ideas as to what may be causing this? Why is it that when I first start, it runs great, but then this happens later? Please, I am desperate to solve this dilemma. Thanks!!"

"It could be the anti syphone

"It could be the anti syphone valve(ball valve at the top of the gas tank were the fuel line connects, it is part of the 90 degree barb fitting) they go bad or clog very eaisly. i have had trouble with them on three out of the five boats i have ownend."

"Sounds like it may be an igni

"Sounds like it may be an ignition thing. I suggest you replay the whole thing close to the dock, and when she quits, pull your coil wire and see if you have any spark. Sometimes a bad coil will get flakey once hot.
Rod"

"Lee
Just had a similar probl

"Lee
Just had a similar problem with my Starboard engine.
Would start OK and would run for aound 15 20 minutes at better than 1500rpm, after that as soon as I dropped it to idle which is normally 600rpm it would stall and be very cranky to start again.
Fitted a new coil, problem gone.

Cheers
Peter C"

"When it dies out, remove your

"When it dies out, remove your fuel cap and see what happens. Maybe your tank is not venting."

Listen to Rod! I think he&#39

Listen to Rod! I think he's on the right track here. He makes great music too!

Jeff

"Ummm Jeff; I think you may ha

"Ummm Jeff; I think you may have me confused with that slightly older Brit dude. I don't have nearly as many ex-wives as he does for one thing! Not nearly as much money in the bank either, I suspect.......
Anyway, thanks for the support. Good to see you back.
Rod"

"Well, I just went ahead of bo

"Well, I just went ahead of bought a new coil. Figured if it didn't solve the problem, I at least have a spare coil. I haven't had a chance to try it yet because I have some adjustments that I need to do on the carb. Will post back once I try it and let you know how things went. Many thanks for all the replies and help!!"

"Crimp off the fuel line, and

"Crimp off the fuel line, and try to restart immediatly.. If it starts, I would check the float valve seat in the carb.. It's probably leaking because some crud made it through the old filters and now it's flooding the engine..
Spent 6 hours tied to a daybeacon last summer same problem..."

"Well, it appears as though th

"Well, it appears as though the Coil solved the problem. Went out twice yesterday and it ran great both times. No stalling now when I bring it down to idle.

Thanks for everyones help and replies. This site is awesome!!"

Back