Logo

1979 Mercruiser Model 470 what oil to use

J

JW in Dixie

"The original manual calls for

"The original manual calls for 30 wt non-detergent. There has been a revolution in motor oils since 1979, so what oil is recommended for this motor these days? Tnx. JW in Dixie"

"I agree, there has been a gre

"I agree, there has been a great improvement in engine oil, but 30 weight is still 30 weight. I have a 1983 470 and use 30 wt. I'm sure its a much better oil due to additives and such than years ago so I feel I'm not missing out on the revolution! If there are arguments otherwise I'm sure you and I would love to here them. This post could get interesting
Chris"

Stick with detergent oil due t

Stick with detergent oil due to its cleaning properties and improved molecular structure. You can't go wrong. Non-detergent oil is for lubricating non-critical things like chainsaw guides.

Guy

"Detergent oils came into vogu

"Detergent oils came into vogue way back when full flow filtration started. The idea is that the detergents keep the impurities in suspension until the oil goes through the filter, where they are removed before the oil goes to do it's lubrication job.
Non-detergent oils are usually only used where there is no filtration, like in small air compressors, lawn mowers, etc.
Multi-vis oils were developed to provide a combination of good cold weather starting, plus protection at operating temps. Straight single grade oils are usually specced for engines that will never need to start in cold weather. I guess arguably boats fall into this category.
I am no expert on the 470, but for my money as long as it has an oil filter, I would think that you would be better off with a modern multi-vis 10W-30 or 10W-40 detergent motor oil. This would give you easier cold starts and better all round protection.
Does anyone out there know if there is something peculiar about the 470 engine that would make this not so?
Rod"

"Totally agree with Rod. (

"Totally agree with Rod. (Second time today... Hummm.)

I also believe in 'dialing in' the multi-vis oil I use. To wit: If the oil pressure is high enough with 10W40, I try 10W30--it's easier on the oil pump drive gears. But if the oil pressure is too low with 10W30, I go up to 10W40.

Jeff"

Back