Logo

Merc oil and filters vs the others

89evinrude

"After many years as an outboa

"After many years as an outboard engine user, I switched to a boat with a Mercruiser I/O, 5.0 with an Alpha I. When I went to change the oil and filter this spring, I got into a "heated" discussion with the boat dealer who told me to "only use Merc oil and filters" with that engine. No problem,,,,, until I saw the prices!

I have spent a few hours under a hood of various GM cars and trucks, so I can recognize a GM engine when I see one.

Why can't I use a standard good quality oil filter bought from my auto parts store and run a good grade of oil in this GM engine instead of those pricey, but shiny black filters and Merc oil?

Any thoughts? Thanks ...and maybe I will see you on the lake."

"Douglas
Now here is a topic

"Douglas
Now here is a topic that can cause great debate.
My recomendation would be not to cut any corners but just to use a high quality oil.
As far as the filters go, if you are going to use non genuine, once again pick a high quality filter, nothing will destroy your engine quicker than low grade oil or filters.
Oils and filters are cheap, engine rebuilds are expensive.
Always remember te guy who sells the genuine mercruiser part makes good money out of selling you the genuine article.
There is some crappy non genuine stuff on the market but there is also some very good non genuine product that meets or exceeds the manufacturers specs.
Cheers
Peter C"

"Peter, how can you tell what

"Peter, how can you tell what is a "quality" non genuine oil filter? They all state that they meet or exceed manufactures specs - does this include Mercury specs or just cars and trucks? What brand do you buy? Tnx. JW in Dixie"

"Douglas:

Peter is giving y

"Douglas:

Peter is giving you the facts. Your own experience under the hood is telling you the Merc. Dealer is selling products using the "ole scare" tactic. He did a good job since you seem to be doubting yourself. Do as Peter says and what you already knew; always use high quality lubricants and filters that equal or exceed mfg. specs. Don't deviate to save a dollar today and spend $5,000 tomorrow. I buy several filters @ $5-6 each from a reputable marine dealer on-line when my combined purchase includes free shipping.

Think of changing oil and filters like you would taking care of your teeth; brush regularly and often. Use the toothpaste and toothbrush that prevent cavaties and cleans them well so they will serve you for life.

Guy"

"Interesting debate as always

"Interesting debate as always regarding this topic.
My nickel's worth:
Marine engines work harder than those in cars or trucks. Running a boat is kind of like driving uphill all day in 2nd gear. The last thing you want is an oil that thins out or breaks down prematurely and causes excess engine wear. Another way to look at it is that oil and filters are probably one of the less expensive things that you pay for to go boating. The cost pales in comparison to gas, parts, repairs, mooring, insurance, etc. After all, you only change oil once every 50 hours or so. Why take any chances?
I have owned boats for many years, and have not deviated from Merc 20W50 and Merc filters. Having said this, I am considering switching my new 6.2 MAG MPI over to something like Mobil 1 full synthetic, once fully broken in, after 20 hours or so. I am a great believer in synthetic versus dino oils.
In the end there is no clear cut right or wrong answer. It all comes down to what each of us feels is right and worth spending our hard-earned cash on.
Whatever you decide, good luck!
Rod"

"Douglas (and for JW's

"Douglas (and for JW's benefit)

Go with your gut feeling on this one, you have already said that you are use to having your head under the bonnet of your truck and car.
I am sure that you would not pour crap oil into your car, or use a low grade filter on it so why would you do it to your boat.
I am unsure of who your filter companies are in your part of the world but I am sure if you asked around, someone would tell you who's filters to use, or not to use and as far as oil go's, stick to one of your major suppliers and make sure the grade you use at least meets or exceeds the manufacturers specs.
Then if you have an hour meter, for my money, change the oil and filter about every 50 hrs, if you do not have an hour meter, try and keep a written log.

Rods recomendation on Mobil 1 is a good one if you are undecided on your oil.

Guys bulk buy on the filters is another way to reduce costs.

Remember what I said in my first post, Oil and filters are cheap, engine rebuilds are expensive.

Cheers from the Land of Aus

Peter C"

"My good buddy and former loca

"My good buddy and former local Mercury Marine Dealer gave me this advice before leaving to become a Mercury Factory Tech on the west coast:
Boat motors lay idle long periods and regular automobile oil drains off of the moving parts. Then when they are run it is mostly at 3 to 4000 rpms, for long periods. An auto motor runs about 2000 at 70 mph. Merc oil has some magic that keeps the parts oily during periods of layup.

Then about filters, the higher rpm of the boat motor calls for a filter designed for greater flowthru. (How do they do that? Less paper? Larger holes? Didn't think to ask him). So, he urged me to use only Merc oil and filters. OTOH, my boat is a 1979 and has a quite a few hours on it. The only failure was a burned exh valve. Since buying it in 1986 I have used 30 Wt oil and "good" (??) oil filters. What is best? Beats me. Tnx for your thoughts. JW in Dixie"

"My kids just bought a Ford Fr

"My kids just bought a Ford Freelander with a V-6, and it has--right on the camcover-"Use 5W20 oil" (and not just for break in either).

That stunned me! Never heard of an engine manufacturer recommending such thin oil. How about you?

On oil filters, various tests I've seen on them rate NAPA filters very high (made by WIX).

Jeff

PS: I guarantee you that Mercrusier does NOT make there oil filters. One more point, though marine service is tough, it's also CLEAN--no dust and dirt to be filtered out. Imagine the dirt load of a filter on an engine in the desert, or in a vehicle that travels on dirt roads regularly."

"Jeff
In the automotive indus

"Jeff
In the automotive industry we are seeing that a lot more now, many new ones coming through with recommendations to run 10w20, 5w20, 10w30.
They are telling us that it has alot to do with composite materials being used in construction of engines nowdays, the higher temps that they are running at, the speed that they are getting to those temps, better lubrication systems, tighter tollerances, oil temp sensors inputing to the cars computer and the list go's on.
We have found on some of the late model fords that they will run like a dog unless you use the specific oil recomended for the engine.
There use to be an old add on the TV here for an oil company that said "Oil's aint Oil's" .... never was that more acurate than now.

I run 25w60 in my old chevy's in my boat, the old girls love it, mind you if I rebuild the engines I will change the weight of the oil I use.
Cheers
Peter C"

"Gentlemen:

I had been usin

"Gentlemen:

I had been using 25W40 Merc. oil and filters then changed to using 15W40 multi-use oils in my 11 year old 4.3L and Merc., AC & Fram oil filters. As a retired Purchasing Agent, I would study ASE and Consumer Reports test results for different truck and automotive lubrication products.

The study statistics I read all came to the same conclusion: there is little noticeable wear on engine parts as long as the products used meet or exceed current ASE quality standards. These studies began with blueprinted engines that were operated in a variety of situations. At the end of the trials, the engines were dismantled and compared with the blueprinted engine specs.

The final conclusion: if you are using products that meet or exceed the current ASE standards, don't worry about the amount of wear and tear on your engine as-long-as you religiously follow the manufacturers' recommended schedules of preventive maintenance.

Guy"

"Fastjeff, Yah, Honda went to

"Fastjeff, Yah, Honda went to 5W-20 for 6 or 7 years now. That coincided with the appearance of API-SM rating."

"I have done a bit of research

"I have done a bit of research, listened to folks that work engines 'hard', and some of the racing boat guys.. So, I decided to try this out.. At the end of last year, I replaced the oil with Castrol 5-50 synthetic.. My engine runs cooler, I know that for sure, and also they tell me I should also expect as much as 15% less fuel consumption.. Last time I calc'ed my fuel consumption was on a trip up the Trent Canal System here in Ontario, which is a good mixture of 'open er up' lakes, and speed control zones.. My 23' Ebbtide, and 5.7 averaged 4.27 GPH So, Time will tell... My filters are all Merc.."

"15% less fuel consumption. Uh

"15% less fuel consumption. Uh, yah, right!"

"Well Eddie..One can 0nly hope

"Well Eddie..One can 0nly hope!! With gas in Ontario at the street pumps hitting $1.05+ a litre ($3.97 U.S. Gal), and marina gas at $1.35+ a litre($5.11 U.S. Gal.), I'd settle for any savings I can get.
thumbs_up.gif
"

"Bill et al:

Have you not

"Bill et al:

Have you noticed any increase in oil consumption or leaks, especially the rear main seal since you changed? I have thought about using synthetic oil in my 11 yr old merc. 4.3 but the last time I switched in my 3 yr old chevy truck it ran out the rear main that previosly didn't leak--warranty covered it."

"Sometimes that happens when y

"Sometimes that happens when you go to a lower viscosity oil especially with an older engine. You used to see it happen more often years ago if you were using a straight weight (viscosity) oil and later went to a multi-viscosity oil. Even now, if you have an old, badly worn engine you can switch to straight 30 weight oil to milk some extra life out of a tired engine.

Another thing is that a seal can start leaking very suddenly. I've also seen new seals that leaked worse than 15 year old seals in the same engine. It's possible that the truck seal started leaking coincidentally."

"I'll keep an eye out for

"I'll keep an eye out for that, I have only put a hour on the engine since the change, and it only has about 340 hrs total..I'm not expecting any, nor have I heard of any problems with it.."

"Here's the reason I offer

"Here's the reason I offer only factory filters to my customers. If that filter fails, the manufacturer will cover the engine repair under their parts warranty, no questions asked. Try that with an aftermarket manufacturer, especially some no-name filter company. I know the major manufacturers will cover the bill as well, but it is a long arduous process that could take the whole season to resolve.

Granted, filter failures are rare, but they do occur, and if you do this for a living, you will see it happen, and that's one less thing I have to worry about. My piece of mind is worth a few extra bucks and my customers know they are getting quality parts."

"Bill
Dont complain about yo

"Bill
Dont complain about your fuel price, bowser price for unleaded in my local today $1-38.7 / litre.
School holidays start here end of this comming week so you can bet that the prices by next Thursday afternoon will be around the $1-43.5/ litre.
And you think you have it bad.

Peter C
PS Some marina prices are over $2-00/litre"

"Well, what burns me the most,

"Well, what burns me the most, is Canada is one of the major suppliers of oil to the U.S.A. where it sells for less than it does here.. Mostly due to the unreasonable taxes Canadian are saddled with in comparison to the U.S. A lot of folks that live on the border, drive across to refuel and save, both by car and boat....But alas.. This is becoming political, and you 'really' don't want to get me started on that..
angry.gif
"

Back