Logo

OMC 120 questions

M

mercruiserfan

"Hi,can somebody give me some

"Hi,can somebody give me some info on a omc 120?Would like to know what is the max rpm for this engine and can a omc 120 be bolted to a mercruiser 120 drive?.I was told that they are the same engine.I dont know what year the boat is but mid 70's for sure.I have heard alot of bad things about those drives but Im prepared to run it until I have problems then swap over to mercruiser unit. Thanks"

"It might be the same engine b

"It might be the same engine but that's where it stops. Have a look at the transom from the back of the boat and then look at one with a Mercruiser. The OMC has a huge cutout surrounded with a big black rubber boot while the Merc is much smaller, similar to the OMC Cobra. If trying to go from old OMC to Merc it means major transom rebuild work plus nothing from the OMC engine will work with the Merc, you would be looking at a total power plant and outdrive swap along with the transom rebuild."

Could you give me the good the

Could you give me the good the bad and the ugly on the OMC 120 and drive unit.What problems are there with the drive itself.The guy I bought it from had $800.00 of work done to the bottom end of it.Everything appears to be in fine working order.Thanks

"[b]"Could you give me the

""Could you give me the good the bad and the ugly on the OMC 120 and drive unit."

The 2.5l, 153cid Motor is a proven Runner, used by OMC, Volvo,+ Merc for Years,+ Years......
It's a sister motor to the 3.0l.........

The Stringer Drives,... your's being the 400 series,+ it's sister the 800 series was a POS the day it was built,+ hasn't gotten Any Better......
Combined with the fact that OMC is no longer around,+ the drives are ancient...........
There's not much Good to say about them........"

Ok.....what makes them a POS?I

Ok.....what makes them a POS?I know merc and volvo drives but not OMC.

"Ok, first the bad stuff, the

"Ok, first the bad stuff, the lower unit is much easier to work on, they turn sharper than any other sterndrive, almost no vibration at all, the water pump is twice the size of the rest, the drive tilts up to where you can change the prop from in the boat,etc...etc...Now it gets worse. Part prices are prohibitive, no factory support at all, props cost a couple hundred, unless you have select-trim you can't trim it out, and most mechanics would rather eat a bowling ball than work on one. Summary, if you are a REAL good mechanic and can keep it up on your own, cool. If not, bag it."

Back