Logo

TiltTrim yammy 40 2000 model

yammyfan

"Hi all, my tilt/trim unit on

"Hi all, my tilt/trim unit on my port motor is oozing fluid from around the top of the piston housing, just a drop over days. I can't see fluid escaping when I activate the on-motor switch, so it's a slow leak. Both units were rebuilt some time ago so I'm told, and there was no fluid loss apparent when I bought the boat a month ago, and I've racked up about 10 hours since.
Always had tiller/manual lift motors until these, so I need to know how to check and add fluid.
Any maintenance recommended?"

"Well I have only a 14 mm flat

"Well I have only a 14 mm flathead screw on what I presume is the top of the fluid reservoir,under the piston housing, and a hex head bolt at what I presume is the bottom of the reservoir. Both are facing out from the transom on the bottom of the piston housing , in a vaguely square container, and the motor drive is on the left. I gather that when the motor is raised, the piston is at full travel, and the true fluid level in the reservoir is given. Since I last looked, no appreciable fluid has escaped, so maybe there was pressure on the pistons even with the detente engaged from the motors shaking up and down due to road undulations? Is some presence of fluid preferable, due to its seal-conditioning qualities, rather than dryness due to lack of use?
The other possibility is that these motors are not in fact 2000 models. Hmmm. Very hard to find pictures of the releases from Yamaha over the years. Model nos. are 40 VETO.
Sorry for my ignorance, but fascinated."

"I'm confused...I think th

"I'm confused...I think that the "cap" you are referring to is on top of the cylinder on the left of the ram unit? It has been painted in I suppose, there's heaps of Yammy blue on the top.....you would need a short philips head screwdriver to access this "cap" as it's under the exhaust housing when the motor is tilted? Forgive me, I feel like a bloody fool.
PS great stuff, just-in-time!"

"PS here's a pic of the fl

"PS here's a pic of the flat head screw I think is the add fluid port,
83245.jpg
"

"This pic shows the piston whe

"This pic shows the piston where the fluid seemed to leak from, the cylinder on the left is rusted paint, is this the cylinder with the "add fluid" cap on it that is painted in in my case?
83248.jpg
"

"OK so no answers, no enlighte

"OK so no answers, no enlightenment. Where is this Phillips screw for addition of fluid? Is it in fact the flat head screw in my pics? I've used big rams in Semi-trailers, tractors, forklifts, air rams on coal train wagons, even guillotines with hydraulics, all simple and straightforward, but I cant figure out where to add fluid to my tiny outboard rams. The unknown is feared the most."

find the lit number from yamah

find the lit number from yamaha-motor.com
and tell me it for the manual please

Back