Logo

Replacing exhaust manifolds and risers

reel_a_lure

"About to start replacement of

"About to start replacement of exhaust manifolds, 3 inch spacers, and risers on twin 5.0 efi mercs. Using Osco parts. Two questions. 1) Osco gaskets (green colored) specify "install gaskets dry"...good idea?. What are alternatives (ex. buy OEM gaskets) 2) bolt torque. I've read 33 ft/lbs for manifold bolts. What about the riser studs?

Thanks for all help. Really appreciated"

"Ken
I know they say assemble

"Ken
I know they say assemble dry but I always use Loctite no3 non hardening aviation grade gasket sealant.
It will remain plyable, has excelent filling and sealing qualities, doesnt mind the heat and will give you no corrosion issues.
As far as the bolts, I normaly pull them down just by hand but if I use a tension wrench I normaly pull them down to around 35 to 40 ftlbs with a bit of never sieze on the threads.
Cheers
Peter C"

Watch out using a torque wrenc

Watch out using a torque wrench on bolts that are not perfectly clean and lubed.

I just threw together an Osco setup using homemade gaskets that are similar to Osco's. I did not use a gasket sealer (forgot it) but they don't leak. So it's up to you. Sealer won't hurt anything and could help.

Jeff

Back