Logo

Omc to Mercruiser change over

H

Harry s. guest

How difficult would it be to c

How difficult would it be to change from a newer OMC outdrive (not the ball gear type) to a Mercruiser Alpha unit. Any estimate as to cost would be very welcome.

"Just curious as to why you wo

"Just curious as to why you would want to do that?
I'm sure it could be done. You would need everything Merc from the block back, including bellhousing, Y pipe, complete transom assembly, drive leg, trim pump/motor assembly, etc. You would also need to research the Merc transom opening compared to the OMC opening, and be prepared to make the required changes there. You would also need a complete Alpha shift interrupt plate assembly.
Cost for new stuff would likely be 8 to ten thousand, give or take. You could likely buy a complete used Alpha setup on ebay or thru a used boat parts store.
Just some thoughts.
Rod"

"Thanks Rod. I'm looking

"Thanks Rod. I'm looking at a perfect shape used boat, 1990. Love the boat but the drive is OMC. If it were Merc, I'd buy it. thinking was buy a rebuilt Alpha I and change it out. Then boat and drive would be "like new". Price on boat is very fair, but I hate having to start any OMC repairs. They usually just keep showing up....one month new lower gears, next month, new U-joints, then new shaft seals,etc, etc.
Thoought was If I got the boat for a good $$$ then a change out might make a great package...and if I was going to get a new/rebuilt drive.....I'd prefer Merc."

Back