Logo

Flywheel Teeth

J

Joe H

I am having trouble with my 19

I am having trouble with my 1986 Mercruiser 3.0L 140. I was told that the flywheel is missing teeth and that is why I am having intermittent starting problems. Anyother thoughts out there.

If your flywheel was missing t

If your flywheel was missing teeth you would find them in your bilge.
I'd get a second opinion before laying down your credit card.
Rod

"As it turns out, it was not m

"As it turns out, it was not missing teeth but rather that they had become rounded because of a lost bolt and some slippage in the housing. Regardless though, I am seeking some advise on whether I should just live with the dead spot on the wheel or should I replace it. I understand it is a relatively big job (needing to pull the motor out) and I have no idea of the cost of a flywheel."

The flywheel would be the chea

The flywheel would be the cheap part compared to the labor. It is a complete engine R&R job. The drive needs to come out first of course. You are probably looking at 8-10 hours of shop time.
Rod

"it will only get worse, until

"it will only get worse, until you get yourself stranded. pull the motor, and take the flywheel to a machine shop. the ring gear can be replaced. no need to replace entire flywheel."

more: you will also destroy st

more: you will also destroy starters. cost of ring gear (installed) about 40 bucks.

"Joe H:

When it rains it po

"Joe H:

When it rains it pours. With engine removed, check the splines on the engine coupler for rounded edges; the splines should be square cut but wear after years of no lube and the engine and OD out of alignment. Replace it if it seems worn since it is a matter of (short) time before it starts slipping which will require R&R of the engine again. Might as well give the OD the once over for worn parts too.

Guy"

"And when the job is done, be

"And when the job is done, be DAMN sure there's a strap holding the front of the starter to the block. This metal strap--often left off by sloppy mechaincs--allows the starter to vibrate up and down until the mounting bolts loosen and/ or break off.

Jeff"

Back