Logo

Marine camshaft

shewfelt9991

I replaced my 350 engine with

I replaced my 350 engine with a 305 automotive engine. I installed the marine camshaft from the 350 into the 305. I cannot get the timing set up. I am wondering if the camshaft is compatable with the 305 engine.

"What do you mean "cannot

"What do you mean "cannot get the timing set up"?
Do you mean the valve timing or the ignition timing?
Did you align the timing marks on the crank and cam chain sprockets?
If so, the valve timing should be set correctly as the firing order is the same for both.
If you mean the ignition timing; you need to slide the distributor into its slot (with #1 at TDC on the compression stroke), so that the rotor lines up with the #1 wire tower closely. Meanwhile the bottom of the distributor shaft must engage with the oil pump drive, so you may need to turn the pump shaft a little beforehand to get it to line up.
Sounds difficult, but usually works OK after a little fiddling around. Just be patient; it's a boat afterall.
Good luck
Rod"

"I have done all those things

"I have done all those things you suggest. I scribed a mark on the harmonic balancer when at the TDC position. When I run the motor (purrs like a kitten while idleing, but will not rev past 2000 rpms) the mark is 90 degrees counterclockwise from the timeing gauge."

My original question was '

My original question was 'is the camshaft from the 350 engine compatable with a 305 engine?' Could this be the cause of my timeing problems?

"I don't see why the 350 c

"I don't see why the 350 cam won't work in the 305. You should be getting plenty of valve lift, and the valve timing should be right.
Don't know exactly what you mean. Are you saying the timing score in the damper wheel is 90 deg CCW from the timing index plate when #1 is at TDC??? Why would that be; as it is indexed to the crankshaft, which determines when #1 is at TDC.
Not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you are using the correct cyl as #1? #1 is the front cylinder on the right hand side (port side) as you look at the front of the motor. If you are using the front cyl on the left side (stbd), it will be 90 deg out on the damper wheel.
Please tell us more.
Rod"

"Lee
Are both engines carbure

"Lee
Are both engines carburetta or injected ? (thats the new 305 and your old 350 you got the cam out of)
If so the valve timing will be very similar with just a variation in the lift and duration but the proceedure for setting up your crankshaft to camshaft timing on assembly should be the same.
However, if there is a big difference in the lift and duration you may now have carburetta issues.
Rods request for more info is your best option at this stage, to nut this one out you will probably have to supply as much info as you can about both engines and why you swapped them.
Regards
Peter C"

"Thank you gentlemen for your

"Thank you gentlemen for your help. I don't blame you for thinking pooly of my intelligence, but I assure you that know where #1 cylinder is, and the correct firing order, and how to determine the compression stroke.
I don't know what carburtta means. Both motors were not injected. The 305 is out of 1973 monty carlo. This engine was running excellent prior to being removed from the auto. I removed the 350 due to cracked block, previous to that the motor ran great.
I have checked the compression, installed new points, rotor, cap, plugs, new carborator, emptied fuel tank, new filters including tiny fuel filter hidden in fuel line from tank. I have taken the timing cover off, lined up the marks and scribed the harmonic balancer at zero on the index plate, lined up the rotor with #1 wire; and when running the mark is 90 degrees CCW of where it is supposed to be.
I can think of no good reason for the timing mark not to appear somewhere close to the timing index plate, other than the 350 crankshaft is somehow screwing things up."

"I wonder if the index dowell

"I wonder if the index dowell on the 350 cam is in a different spot than the 305's? I can't imagine that the engine would even run if the valve timing is 90 deg out of whack.
It sounds like it is time to do some dissassembly and investigation. The first thing I would start with is the camshaft and timing. You could pull the right side valve cover and check to see that #1 Exhuast is just closing and #1 intake is just opening at TDC on the exhaust stroke. This should show if the valves are correctly synced to the crank. While you're at it you can measure the actual valve lift to make sure it is sufficient.
If the valve timing is off, you'll have to change the cam or the cam timing sprocket, or move the sprocket to a new alignment to make it right.
Something is screwy because even if the cam is out of sync; you would have lined up the distributor to fire #1 at #1 TDC regardless. Something don't add up.
And sorry; just trying to help, not trying to insinuate that you are not competent; OK?
Rod"

"A Few things to consider.

"A Few things to consider.

A 305 and 350 cam are 100 percent compatable.

When you put the new points in did you set did you set the gap by dwell, if not ant least by gap (.018)

are you using an after market timing chain cover with the timing gauge you bolt on seperate? and have it mounted on the wrong side?
facing the engine should be on right

are you using an adjustable tiing light and have it turned up to 30 degress."

Back