Logo

Omc 800 Ball gear removal

78hammond

I have a78 sterdrive. I bou

I have a78 sterdrive. I bought a manual the other day and the directions are pretty detail. I have pulled the ball gear and shaft from the intermediat housing just fine but the gears in the upper will not come out. I removed the 4 bolts and moved the shaft and ball gear out about 2 inches then it just stopped and i can seem to go any further. ?????? help

"? You don't need to remov

"? You don't need to remove either shaft to change the ball gears. You can remove either of the ball gears just by prying the tin cover off, and undoing the nut."

"I wonder if you have the pres

"I wonder if you have the pressed on ball gears. If so, you will need to remove them to press them out. Also, many times with the other type (nut), it gets rusted and you need to take it out, put in vice and use an impact wrench to losen. Mine was so tight I actually broke my vice trying to hold it. The impact wrench did not have enough juice. It took a large breaker bar with a 3 foot pipe to loosen it."

"If your drive is a 1978, you

"If your drive is a 1978, you probably do not need to worry about pressing the Ball Gear off. They were prevalent in the late 60's and early 70's. Just had my Upper rebuilt and I can attest to the rust where that nut is that holds the Ball Gear on. PITA"

"I went ahead and pulled mine

"I went ahead and pulled mine also. The electric impact got both the nuts easy enough, even though both covers were gone. Had to use a gear puller and the impact again to remove the ball gear from the shafts. The upper input shaft should come straight out of the gearbox with some coaxing. Remember to get new seals and O-rings too."

wow - I have been so lucky...

wow - I have been so lucky... never had anything but smooth sailing changing ball gears... I just hit 'em with my 1/2" impact....this is good discussion for preparing me for the inevitable.

Covers were off even... I guess that reinforces the need to pack the area well with sealant.

"HyStat, You HAVE been lucky.

"HyStat, You HAVE been lucky. I was taught, almost 30 years ago, to apply red locktight to the splines of all the ballgears. I don't think you have worked on one that I repaired yet!!
biggrin.gif
. I rarely have any ball gear come off with out a press or a 5lb deadblow."

I used red lock-tite on mine a

I used red lock-tite on mine and I know they are not coming off without a major fight. I Hope they out last the boat!

Back