Logo

Stalls when trying to accelerate

dawgs

Regular Contributor
"i know i know...this topic ha

"i know i know...this topic has been discussed numerous times but i cant find the thread....when i try to accel , the boat stalls out....after 5 or 6 trys i have to kinda pop it into foward so it doesnt stall....any ideas?"

accelerator pump in the carb?

accelerator pump in the carb? we just rebuilt the carb...new pump....."float level" what do you mean?

SG:
"we just rebuilt the

SG:
"we just rebuilt the carb...new pump....."float level"

Is the float level setting CORRECT? Is the accelerator pump shaft you changed SET ON THE CORRECT hole if more than one. Kit parts can be defective. Did you use the old float or change it? Guy

"I have the same engine with a

"I have the same engine with a similar problem. I assume you have the big 4 cyl. with a mercarb. I would get a hesitation or a "BOGG" when accelerating from idle. I would agree with the other post. if your choke plate is opening up like it should, then you have a lean condition. Check that the accelerator pump is working.With the engine off, have someone move the throttle and see if you get a squirt of gas into the bore of the carb. Did you put back the check ball when you rebuilt the carb? Also, check the timing. There is an argument whether it should be set at 4 or 8 degrees before TDC. My engine runs much better at 8 degrees. Opening up your mixture screw a 1/2 a turn might help a bit. You may need to check you float level. Take the top of the carb off and hold it up side down. Measure from the base with the gasket on to the seam on the float, or what ever your instructions state. My float needle has a small spring in it which holds my float up, I'm not sure if I should compress it down or not, that may be my problem!! Hope this helps, its food for thought
Chris"

chris i do have the same engin

chris i do have the same engine and carb as you....choke plate is ope....check ball is ok....float level is set to "rebuild kit" specs....hopefully its just the mixture screw...timing is set at about 6 i believe....i read 2 different timing specs...one said 8 another said 4 so i split the difference..maybe thats the problem too

"SG;
If your accel pump rod o

"SG;
If your accel pump rod or linkage has a way to adjust the stroke, you may want to adjust it so as to give more stroke when you accelerate. This will help the bog.
Rod"

"Always set the accelerator pu

"Always set the accelerator pump linkage on a boat to maximum squirt. No advantage to doing otherwise.

You need to eyeball down the carb throat as the throttle is worked. Do you see a n ice, healthy shot of gas squirting inthere, or a flimsey dribble? It should be the later.

Jeff

PS: I've seen lots of "rebuilt carbs" that were not any good."

"Jeff;
You mean it ought to b

"Jeff;
You mean it ought to be the former, right; "nice healthy shot of gas squirting in there".
Rod"

Back