Logo

Merc 350 MPI Engine Alarms

D

DC

"My 2000 Rinker 330 has been b

"My 2000 Rinker 330 has been blaring w/engine alarms the last 2 times out. The alarms are pretty constant at idle but turn off under power. Boat was running fine, temp guages are both good (140-150), oil pressures good (40 at idle, 60 at power). I was told outdrive lube reservoir could be a possibility, but I find it odd with both going off at the same time. Any suggestions on what else it could be?"

Did you bother to check the re

Did you bother to check the reservoir? When was the raw water pump's impeller changed last?

"Jim,

I did check the reser

"Jim,

I did check the reservoirs and that was the issue. I didn't know about the reservoirs until Monday, and didn't get back to the boat until tonight. I was just trying to get other ideas in case that wasn't it as I thought it odd that both would go low at the same time, but that's what happened. I'll keep an eye on it.

Outdrives had work done at end of last year, so impellars are in good shape.

Thanks."

"DC;
Very common for the lube

"DC;
Very common for the lube oil reservoir to lose level the first time or two out after drive work. This is due to air bubbles and pockets in the lube oil in nooks and crannies that don't come out until she is warmed up a time or two. You need to watch the level and top up as necessary until it settles down. After 3 or 4 times out it shud be stable. If it continues to lose level after several runs, you have a small leak somewhere in the drive.
Rod"

"Rod,

Thanks for the info,

"Rod,

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on it and keep them topped off.

I learned a little more so that's the good thing.

Thanks again."

Back