Logo

Broken shift cable

aquahaulic

"Well the shift cable I have b

"Well the shift cable I have been trying to get unstuck broke,So now im going to have buy a new one, Is there anything I need to do prior to installing new shift cable, As I dont want this to happen any more that cable is going to cost me $300.00,Is there some sort of anti sieze for this type of thing. All of your information has been right on time,Im glad I found this website,I appreciate everybodys help so far, But im sure I will have alot of other stupid questions in the future as im still going to restore my boat.
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE ADVICE!"

"Bummer...check around the net

"Bummer...check around the net, I've seen them for $250. Ebay = $295. Use a little grease to slide it through the IM, then just use a little sealer around the cable, not a ton. I think its the sealer around the cable at the IM that causes the cable to get stuck."

"When you are ready to reistal

"When you are ready to reistall the drive clean the passage out real good, down to the aluminum, no salt. Lube the cable up to help it go thru and when you get ready to pull the last 6 inches thru, coat that baby with lots of marine grease. The cable is the seal. Do youself a favor and every now and then loosen the drive and pull the cable out some and regrease. Since these cables have got so spendy I try and do this for all my stringer customers. About a 1/2 hours worth of shop time."

Back