Logo

New owner 73 mercruiser inboard Any tips

M

mike winesickle

i bought a 73 Glastron with a

i bought a 73 Glastron with a Mercruiser 888 inboard motor. What should i know about this motor before trying to fire it up?

"It's a Ford small block 3

"It's a Ford small block 302; does that help?
Seriously, just make sure it has clean oil, has drive lube, and clean fresh gas. If you are out of water, hook up a garden hose with earmuffs before you start her up. Once running check pressures and temps, and check the forward and reverse gears for operation. If it all checks out, time to go boating!!
Rod"

"Mike:

Before you slam the

"Mike:

Before you slam the throttle for that ultimate rush of power under your control, inspect the transom, engine mount bases, stringers and floor for ROTTED WOOD encapsulated in fiberglass. If the transom is weak from rot, the engine and outdrive may do a front flip into the boat and then you are in deep water. Guy"

"Mike
Sound advice as always

"Mike
Sound advice as always from Guy and Rod.
Remember your boat would be classified as vintage class in many places.
Spend a bit of time and closely look at everything before you launch it, Check the hull, engine and drive, look for possible little problems before they become big expensive ones.
If you are unsure of something, seek out someone who is qualified to give you an opinion.
Then if all looks good as Rod says, "Time to go Boating"
Have fun and safe boating
Cheers
Peter C"

Back