Logo

Weber Carb Conversion

I

Ian Harle

"I have a BB140A with the Sole

"I have a BB140A with the Solex twin sidedraft carbs. The engine runs OK but these carbs look shaky, actually missing a few bolts here and there from years of engine vibration. I was looking into the Weber complete Carb and intake manifold conversion kits. The man at Weber said he needed my engine family designation, which would be either B18, B20, or B21. I have not heard of this designation. Is anyone familiar with it? Has anyone done this conversion? Any feedback on how she goes?"

"These carbs are very easy to

"These carbs are very easy to rebuild, I have just done the 2 on my BB140A, and seem to perform very well after rebuild. The missing nuts and bolts are easy to come by. Why not save a big pile of money and go the rebuild route.

Jon"

"Ian,

I'm selling a Sol

"Ian,

I'm selling a Solex "parts" carb (F44 PHN 3) for that same engine. It's on auction at eBay for another day or two ("windandtiger" is the seller's} name). Good photos, take a look--it may have some of those screws you're looking for."

Thanks for the lead dennis. I

Thanks for the lead dennis. I went around to all the hardware stores in my area and it seemed each one had one bolt or the other that I needed. Anyway now It was losing rpm yest then coming back up without touching the throttle. Then today it just wouldn't start. I just replaced the RACOR filter. I'm thinking fuel pump or maybe bad ignition coil. Any trouble shooting pointers would be great.

"Make sure you don't have

"Make sure you don't have a vacuum leak int he intake manifold if you are missing so many bolts. The fuel pump pressure should be 2-4 psi, you can check that with a pressure/vacuum gauge after disconnecting the dischage pipe to the carbs; just make sure there is no fuel in the plastic clear hose, which would indicate a ruptured diaphraghm. And regarding the coil, just replace it for the spare one you should carry onboard an see what happens."

Thank's El Pescador. I po

Thank's El Pescador. I poured a little gas in the carbs this morning and got no fire at all. I think that eliminates the carb as the cause for not starting. I'll pick up a new coil (and a spare). Is that a volvo dealership thing or more like a Pep Boys kinda thing? The coil I mean.
Thanks again guys!!!

She's running!!! I went t

She's running!!! I went to the auto parts store and told them I needed a 3 OHM coil for my boat engine. That left them sort of scratching there heads. I said it's the same motor as a Volvo 240 and they zipped down the ilse and got me a coil. The engine started right up after changing it.
"I'm back in the saddle again"

"I'm glad it works, Ian. B

"I'm glad it works, Ian. But just to be on the safe side, you may want to get hold of a multimeter and measure the coil resistance between the + and - posts and make sure it is at least 3 ohm. And if it is 3 ohm or more then go back to the auto parts store and (if you haven't done so by now) buy a second coil to keep onboard as spare, for you never know when you may need it.

Good luck."

"Gotcha pescador, The wife an

"Gotcha pescador, The wife an I took it out on a short evening run tonght and it appears to be running fine. To the store I go tomorow for a backup coil."

"Oh Krikey, when I put the met

"Oh Krikey, when I put the meter on it it only reads 1.5 ohm's. I think I will bring the meter to the parts store this time. I'm suprised the engine runs so well but I'm not going to push my luck. I'll find another coil."

"The engine may run well for a

"The engine may run well for awhile, but (depending on which system you have on the distributor) you will end frying the points or blowing the electronic ignition module."

Would like to avoid those drea

Would like to avoid those dreaded scenarios if at all possible.

Back