Logo

Fuel smell

hammeresq

"Wow.. It's true as soon a

"Wow.. It's true as soon as something breaks on an old boat, something else goes wrong. So here is today's problem... I have a fuel smell in my bilge. It's coming from the left side of the boat, and it seems to get bad when the boat has been sitting for a while. It also seems to get worse when you jam the throttle before she planes up.

My guess is a seal either around the sender or the petcock. I'm assuming these steel tanks don't crack very often? Any ideas to steer me in the right direction would be great!

Thanks for the help,
Eric"

"You likely have a leaky fuel

"You likely have a leaky fuel line or tank connection, or fuel pump. Also steel tanks will corode out at the bottom at the back end, where the water collects inside.
In any event you have a floating bomb waiting to let go. Is your insurance paid up? (Just kidding!)
Rod"

check the mechanical fuel pump

check the mechanical fuel pump if it has one. If the diaphram leaks it should be ducted to engine vacuum but not sure.

Eric:

During my total reb

Eric:

During my total rebuild from the hull up I had a fuel odor that ended up coming from the fuel vent line and fill line that were both buried in the floor that attached to a side fill plastic tank and encapsulated in floatation foam. I removed them with the foam and found they had rotted from the outside and the foam was saturated with fuel and water that was frozen at the time. Guy

Back