Logo

43 merc arcing from coil to pos and neg term

jackspivey2

Contributing Member
"Hey guys, just looking for so

"Hey guys, just looking for some reassurance! 1986 4.3L 205hp alpha. I had a slight miss in the engine last year. I changed the plugs which were way overdue, and noticed the coil arcing from the pos and ground terminals to the center post. Being the scavenger that I am, I grabbed a blaster 3 coil from the donor car and threw it on. I didn't notice any more arcing at the time. So tonight I was de-winterizing and getting ready to change the oil, when lo and behold, arcing again. So I am thinking plug wires cap and rotor. Any other explanation than resistance in the ignition system after the coil?? Second thing is I am hearing a tick or clang from the exhaust on the starboard side. Exhaust flapper?? Should I change it or let it go?? And third, lol, power steering cooler leak. Cheaper to replace or repair?? Any Help you can lend is greatly appreciated!

Jack"

"Sounds like new plug wire tim

"Sounds like new plug wire time. Electricity will always take the path of least resistance.
The clank is likely exhaust flapper. Not life threatening, just a nuisance.
I would replace the PS cooler. Never heard of one leaking; where is the leak?
Rod"

Jack:

You are on the right

Jack:

You are on the right track with the arcing. High voltage spark always takes the shortest path to ground as indicated by the arcing. Cap probably has burned conductors and carbon tracking and the rotor is probably fried. Look at the optic sensor closely for rust or contamination. Replace it if rusted. RESET TIMING.

Flapper noise should be inspected before it falls down into the Y-pipe.

Replace the PS cooler and change the fluid in case it is contaminated. Good luck.

Guy

"Thanks for the reassurrance,

"Thanks for the reassurrance, the ps cooler is leaking ps fluid on the inlet side. I am going to pull it out in the morning and make sure it's not just a loose line, but I suspect either a bad hose, or a crack on the inlet tube at the base. As far as the flapper is concerned, is that located in the elbow? or at the manifold? Not sure which end of the flex hose to take off to inspect it. Is there a wear item in there that I need to replace to eliminate the clank? Thanks again for all your help!

Jack"

"Jack;
The flappers are at th

"Jack;
The flappers are at the top of the Y pipe arms; just below where the rubber sleeves connect from the elbows. Easy to change. Merc supplies a flapper kit.
If you loosen all 8 band clamps on both ends of both rubber sleeves connecting the funny fold-back aluminum elbows, they should come off with a little prying and persuasion. Cold beer helps.
Good luck,
Rod"

"Thanks Guy and Rod, I will ho

"Thanks Guy and Rod, I will hopefully have time to pull the exhaust and ps cooler this week. Now at least I will know what and where I am looking for!

Jack"

"Jack; forgot to mention, for

"Jack; forgot to mention, for reassembly of the rubber sleeves a strongish solution of dish detergent in water, spread on liberally helps to allow the parts to move around while you fit them in. Again, cold beer helps with this part of the job.
Rod"

"I think I remember reading so

"I think I remember reading someplace that the HE coil has a special winding, and a ordinary coil won't work properly.. If you took it from a 'donor car' it may not even be safe.. Automotive parts in a boat are bad news.."

"The coil is an MSD Blaster 3

"The coil is an MSD Blaster 3 coil, I am almost positive they are marine safe. I have seen them advertised in many marine performance magazines, but thanks for the concern! Just got back from a fishing trip up at Lake Erie, so I should have time to work on my boat soon. Thanks for the help!

Jack"

Back