Logo

Anyone got a good tug boat

ratmower

Advanced Contributor
"Someone has gone and parked a

"Someone has gone and parked a 45,000 tonne coal carrier on my favourite beach, has anyone got a real big tug boat they can send over to the land of oz for a little job ?
Cheers
Peter C"

David
I will see what I can d

David
I will see what I can do.
The ship is the Pasha Bulka and it went aground on our Nobby's Beach near the enterance to Newcastle Harbour in Aussie Land last Friday the 8th of June in a very bad storm.
As we are essentialy one of the busiest coal loading ports in Australia it is not an unusual sight at present for more than 30 Bulk carriers to be anchored off our coast.
All were warned by the Harbour Master of the approaching storm and told to move out to deeper waters. The Master of the Pasha Bulker seems to have waited to long and was hit by 120klm/hr winds and 18 meter swells before being eventually pushed up on our shores.
She is fortunatly empty except for her own fuel and oil supplies and we expect salvage crews to try and pull her off the beach this Thursday on the high tides associated with the New Moon.
She is showing some stress fractures but although there are signs that the outer hull has been breached the inner hull is intact
Wish the salvagers Luck.
I will see if I can post some good pics in the next day or so.
Cheers
Peter C

"Thanks Charlie
Saved me a bi

"Thanks Charlie
Saved me a bit of work, you havent got a tug or two have you ??
Cheers
Peter C"

you weren't kidding around

you weren't kidding around. thats a big boat. Going to be a mess if that thing breaks up where it sits on your nice beach.

"Fortunatly we have few things

"Fortunatly we have few things in our favour.

1) the ship is less than 12 months old so the hull is in good condition.
2) if you are going to drive a 45000 tonne ship onto a popular beach they picked the right place to do it for access to deep water and services quickly.
3) they have been able to stabilize the hull by flooding one of the cargo holds with water to settle the hull fast onto the sand and they have also been able to pump the oils and fuels to higher storage areas within the boat, so unless the ship falls apart there should be no or minimal environmental damadge.

There are now two big mother tugs as well as the normal tug fleet in the Harbour and although they havent advertised it, I am betting on the high tide with the new moon tomorow for a bit of a pull.
Cheers
Peter C"

Just an update
They have star

Just an update
They have started the process of laying 3 large anchors out 400 to 450 meters to sea from the ship in preparation to pull here off.
They will run cables back to the winches on the ship from the anchors and use the 3 anchors and 3 tugs to pull her off sometime around the 30th if things go well.
I will update things as it gets a bit closer.

Peter C

Tonights the night.

They te

Tonights the night.

They tell us that at around 7pm our time tonight they will attempt to refloat the ship on the high tide.
The plan seems to be to pull the bow around with a series of anchors placed out to sea and attached to the ships forward winches and pull her with 3 rather large tugs while letting the stern pivot around another anchor.
If they can get the bow around they can pull her over the top of the deepest part of the surrounding reefs.
Weather conditions seem like they may be good for the attempt
I will give you all an update tonight our time.
Cheers
Peter C

Back